• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Devastated

Ellasyn

Mama Doe
I found Hamish bunny forever asleep in his hutch today. He was a young bunny, probably no more than 2 or 3 years old. Yesterday evening he was hopping about for his fenugreek crunchie, this morning he didnt come out for his breakfast, and when I went to look he was in the bed area, from the looks of things I believe it was something that involved fitting or a heart attack maybe. Theres no signs of illness at all, their weights had stabilised, everything was fine :cry:

He was such a sweetie, mostly blind but very cuddly. I cant face finding the pictures of him to put up yet, but he was a lionhead x a very pale grey with grey points. Such a pretty little lad. I cant think what could have happened, what I didnt see. I feel like I let him down.

Poor Ava his partner seems ok, but now she's all alone and I dont know what to do for the best for her. Do I wait til spring and find her a new husbun, do I attempt to bond her with my other pair (I dont think my other female Delilah would really do well in a trio though), do I search rescues for a suitable husbun now? Im just shocked to suddenly be in this situation, all the buns seemed healthy and happy and are so young.

Oh no :( it is especially hard when we have no apparent reason for a loss. I lost a couple this way. Binky free Hamish xxx

Oh no :cry: I'm so sorry :cry: the same thing happened to me recently, I lost my Ginger and then Apricot, who were sisters and half my quad :cry: within 2 weeks of each other in the same way :cry: I was devastated too, and also cross examined myself all the time, I felt guilty, even though I knew I had done nothing wrong.

I'm sure you haven't anything to feel guilty about either, try to focus on what a happy life he had.

The trio sounds like it would probably not work, so I would contact a rescue to see if you can find her a suitable husbun. I think I would do it before winter so she has somebunny to snuggle.

PM me if you want/need to, I went through all the emotions and I know exactly how you must be feeling

Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

I'm so sorry. :( What an awful thing to happen. Bunnies are so delicate, he may not even have shown any symptoms so please don't worry that you missed something. :cry:

Binky Free little one. Give Ava extra nose rubs.

I'm so sorry you've lost Hamish :(

In regards to bonding Ava, I agree with Zoobec that it would be a good idea getting her a new friend before the winter. I lost my Flopsy last Thursday after a long battle of ill health, he left behind Lily his 3 year old partner.

We went along to the rescue on Sunday with Lily and our other pair in hope to bond a trio, however it just wasn't meant to be. It could of possibly eventually worked but poor Pixie was stressed enough as it was, and she would of ended up being left out. So we decided to abort that plan and instead she was introduced to a neutered male, they have been together since Sunday evening so nearly two days now, we are collecting them both tomorrow.

For me it's too soon, I've not fully grieved for Flopsy whom I shared a close bond with - especially since he's been poorly and needed special care. But I could bare seeing my Lily all alone, she spent 3 years and two months bonded with Flopsy. The 3 days that she was alone was the first time she's ever been on her own.

I know people say "get them a new friend when you're ready" however there's never really a 'ready time' in my opinion. Do what you feel is right, people may think I'm replacing Flopsy after getting Lily a new friend after 3 days but that doesn't worry me - as that's not the case, he's irreplaceable and will always remain in my heart and thoughts.

Binky free Hamish xx

Last edited:
Thank you all. I would never try to find another bun so soon if it wasnt for Avas needs. She has only been bonded with him for about 6 months, she's only just over a year old.

I'll have to try find a calm and submissive/disinterested husbun for her and sort a setup they approve of if mine isnt enough. I just hope someone has somebun suitable, and that I can pass a homecheck with my zoo.

Give Ava extra nose rubs.

I have given her extra fenugreek crunchies instead, I value my hands, and she isnt the most cuddly of bunnies. Sadly lionheads with much fluff often need grooming and trimming, and she was very matted when I got her so she isnt a fan of touching. Very entertaining to watch though. I suppose her dislike of humans makes it even more important to find her a friend ASAP.

RIP Hamish. Sounds like he was a beautiful rabbit. Hope you manage to find a lovely friend for Ava to cuddle up to this winter.

I'm so very sorry that Hamish has gone to the Bridge. :cry:
Thinking of you and sending comforting hugs. I hope you'll be able to find a husbun for Ava. It's so hard when we lose them so suddenly. :(
Sweet dreams, Hamish xxxx

I'm very sorry you lost Hamish suddenly and unexpectedly. This happened to me last year and the feelings of doubt and worry you missed something do crowd in don't they?

As for getting a new friend for Ava I agree with all Zoobec and Jack have said. Of course it's too soon for you, I waited 2 weeks to get Will a new friend when his sister Poppy died last year and it felt too soon. BUT it wasn't to soon for Will, he is a 'buns bun' too.

You will love a new bunny but it may take time. Wills new friend Nancy is so different to poppy it didn't take long to get to love her as ANOTHER rabbit not a replacement.

You (and you Jack) are both being strong and unselfish to put your bunnies first - don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Certainly no one on here will.

Binky Free Hamish and a big hug for you and a crunchie for Ava.:love:

I found Hamish bunny forever asleep in his hutch today. He was a young bunny, probably no more than 2 or 3 years old. Yesterday evening he was hopping about for his fenugreek crunchie, this morning he didnt come out for his breakfast, and when I went to look he was in the bed area, from the looks of things I believe it was something that involved fitting or a heart attack maybe. Theres no signs of illness at all, their weights had stabilised, everything was fine :cry:

He was such a sweetie, mostly blind but very cuddly. I cant face finding the pictures of him to put up yet, but he was a lionhead x a very pale grey with grey points. Such a pretty little lad. I cant think what could have happened, what I didnt see. I feel like I let him down.

Poor Ava his partner seems ok, but now she's all alone and I dont know what to do for the best for her. Do I wait til spring and find her a new husbun, do I attempt to bond her with my other pair (I dont think my other female Delilah would really do well in a trio though), do I search rescues for a suitable husbun now? Im just shocked to suddenly be in this situation, all the buns seemed healthy and happy and are so young.

Give her some time to fully grieve and recover, and support her with treats, extra cuddles and toys to keep her amused while she's alone. George is in the same position, but strangely he seems fine too, like Ava. Perhaps they both knew their friend was leaving... :cry:
After about 1 week to a month, I would say, start looking for a new companion. As Ava has recovered so quickly I would start looking now. Trios are hard to bond, and now that its getting to winter, if shes an outdoor bun its best to find a friend soon. Good luck for the future, sending tons of happy-vibes! :wave:

Back