• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Food for 9 week old Mini lops

Hi, I have two 9 week old mini lop brothers. At the moment they are fed a handful of junior Excel pellets twice a day and have hanging balls full of Readigrass to graze on. They also have a hay tray.

They do not seem bothered by the hay at all, other than throwing it about!! I've seen them eat a bit but not much. The Readigrass is another story - they love it!

I'm wondering whether they don't like the hay. I use meadow hay.

I was thinking of swapping to something else and seen some Timothy Hay which includes dandelion and marigold. I take it this is okay for 9 week olds?

Try reducing the amount of readigrass and mix it into the hay rather than have it separate!

I would start introducing different brands/types of hay. It's really important to get them to eat hay from an early age and as bunnies are fussy little things it's easier to do it sooner rather than later. At one time I used to give some of mine alfalfa hay as well as meadow hay. The meadow hay used to just get left so I weaned them off the alfalfa and now they eat any type of hay.

Back