• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worming - how often do you treat them?

Moonstone

Warren Scout
Archie has worms. I saw one coming out of a dropping this evening, I've spoken to the vet and started both him and Millie on Panacur.

I have a couple of questions -

How often do you routinely dose your rabbits with Panacur? Archie was treated less than 6 months ago so I'm wondering what frequency is best.

Can humans catch rabbit worms? Both bunnies normally use a litter tray but because they're being bonded stray droppings go all over the place and I've been picking them up with my hands. I wash them afterwards but now I'm worried I touched my face or something first.

Thank you.

Vets recommend worming rabbits about 3-4 times a year I think, but most people don't worm them unless they actually have worms.

I doubt that we humans can get the rabbits' worms as our digestive system is different, more acidic (?), and therefore can't see how they would survive in us. However, best to err on the side of caution and just ensure that you perhaps wear disposable latex gloves when sorting out the litter trays and/or washing hands thoroughly afterwards, making sure you scrub under your nails (if you don't wear gloves). Oh, and until your rabbits are better I would advise against picking up droppings with your hands; use a dustpan and brush instead.

You will get stray droppings anyway, bonded or not, neutered or not, litter tray trained or not. Rabbits poop everywhere but they should only prefer to wee in one place (or 2).

I worm my two every four months, but remember worming is a treatment not prevention. You cant protect against your buns getting worms so its best just to keep a look out. Luckily we have never had a problem with worms, but that could be because they have been caught before we noticed. Panacure seems to do the trick, I'm sure they will go away very quickly:)

Last edited:
I don't worm my buns unless they actually have worms, it doesn't work as a preventative so i don't see any point! In well over 10 years and 7 rabbits none of mine have ever actually had them!!!

I know that humans can contract threadworms (pinworms) but no idea if they are the same as the ones buns get. I would be cautious and make sure to wash my hands carefully but I wouldnt worry. They are completely harmless anyway.

I was told by my exotic vet that panacur is harsh on the rabbits system and shouldn't be done unless needed".....obviously if they have worms or are positive for EC then yep do it but otherwise it's not good for bunny

I wormed them when I got them

And would probably worm again if they were stressed or had been somewhere with other rabbits eg boarding or introducing a new bunny as stress lowers immune system so slight risk of developing something EC like

Or if I saw worms

Thank you, it was a relief to hear regular de-worming isn't commonplace as I wasn't keen on dosing them up routinely but wondered if I'd let them down. I didn't know it isn't preventative, I guess it kills anything that's in there but won't stop them catching anything new.

Archie's been an indoor bunny since he came here (six months ago) and, other than Millie, I have no other pets so I was confused as to how he came by them. The vet said it would have been on the grass I've been picking him from the garden. Apparently the first half of their life cycle starts in snails which makes sense as there are load of snails out there and from now on their future isn't going to be so favourable!

From what I've read, humans can get pin worms but it's rare. I'm using gloves now, the kind of disposible ones you get from Lakeland (colour rubber ones really scare them) and keeping my mouth shut when I clean them out because apparently the eggs are tiny and float in the air when disturbed - you can catch them by breathing them in. Yuk!

Back