• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Things you wish we talked about more

What do you wish we chatted about more?

• Things you can do to help educate/improve welfare for pet rabbits

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • General health care and common illnesses

• Funny stuff bunnies do

• Diet related things like what veggies

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Behaviour problems or training

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Things you can build or make for your rabbit

Votes: 28 66.7%
  • New studies and information being published about rabbits

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • Something else you're going to post about below

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
Just wondering what you'd like to see more of, there are some option, but feel free to add more details here. What would like to chat or learn about?

Twigs did a really fantastic talk on housing at the RWAF conference. It's one of those topics which you'd think has been done to death, but she managed to turn it into something really thought provoking mainly from the rabbits' point of view. So instead of just focusing on the size of the space, focusing in on how it is configured to provide maximum enrichment, comfort, security and normal behaviour from the bunny point of view while still meeting our human needs. I think we have got very focused in (rightly so) on recommending minimum housing size and fox-proofing etc, but it would be nice to talk more about how our accommodation looks and feels from the perspective of those who live in it. I found Twigs' talk really enlightening so it would be great to learn more about how others have changed their accommodation to make it more bunny-friendly, and how their buns have responded to those changes.

I agree with Santa, I've just finished the loooooong process of getting my lot paired up in decent sized accommodation, but now I'm ready to fill their homes with things to do I'm stumped.
I'd be really interested in their point of view! Is there anywhere to read a summary of the talk online? :)

Ooh I'm not sure if there is, I'll have to take another look.

It was basically things like yes, size is needed, and security is needed. But your bunnies don't understand padlocks, so while you may know they're secure, they don't know that, and want places to hide with more than one exit, places it jump up on, places to peer out from, that sort of thing. A large open space to a bunny doesn't mean 'Ooh look at all that nice empty space for me to run in' it means vulnerability and nowhere to hide. So it was very much turning our perceptions on their head and thinking about what we do translates into bunny language.

So in this context I guess sharing ideas and good practice, and showing our accommodation for others to suggest ideas for bunny-language'ing it.

Ooh I'm not sure if there is, I'll have to take another look.

It was basically things like yes, size is needed, and security is needed. But your bunnies don't understand padlocks, so while you may know they're secure, they don't know that, and want places to hide with more than one exit, places it jump up on, places to peer out from, that sort of thing. A large open space to a bunny doesn't mean 'Ooh look at all that nice empty space for me to run in' it means vulnerability and nowhere to hide. So it was very much turning our perceptions on their head and thinking about what we do translates into bunny language.

So in this context I guess sharing ideas and good practice, and showing our accommodation for others to suggest ideas for bunny-language'ing it.

Ahh thanks, I had been wondering whether space was better or if they'd prefer some things to jump on/hide in.

I ticked general care and common illnesses, although would be good to talk about less common ones to, as never knew about mega colon until janes post :thumb:

. A large open space to a bunny doesn't mean 'Ooh look at all that nice empty space for me to run in' it means vulnerability and nowhere to hide. So it was very much turning our perceptions on their head and thinking about what we do translates into bunny language.

Really never occurred to me that they might think this but reflecting on how they use the space I can see it. Would love to see photos showing how this could be interpreted and will put my thinking cap on + have a good think too.

I was planning to post here about housing. Excellent. Love the idea of doing from a rabbit's perspective.

I am having to be ever so creative with housing atm as we are moving to a place with a much smaller garden.

Back