• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poorly baby rabbit - what would you do?

Whitelighter

Warren Scout
Someone I know on FB has an accidental litter. One little kit is struggling. Missing an ear, missing the tail, blind in one eye and an injured back leg.just over two weeks old.

But

Is inquisitive, eating from mum, moving around and trying to live. My friend thinks because of the injuries/priblems he should put the little one to sleep. I think while the kit has fight and seems interested in life then a chance should be given

What is the injury to the back leg ?

It's impossible to give a definitive answer to your question 'what would you do' because the only people in a position to make a fully informed judgement are the owner/care giver and his/her Vet.

Ok, let me revise my question.

'Do I stick my nose in, and try to take responsibility for the kit or do I just let it stay with mum and maybe get put to sleep because it can't be sold or rehomed and 'will just cost hundreds in vet fees''

I would not remove the Kit from his/her Mum. The chances of a good outcome are minimal given all the other problems and the Kit would also be stressed by separation from his/her mother and siblings. Fatal gut dysbiosis would be very likely to occur and that would be a horrible way for the Kit to die.

Quality of life has to take priority over quantity, IMO, and from what you have said it sounds as though the Kit has too many problems. But as I said in my previous post it is impossible for anyone not in the immediate situation to make a fully informed judgement. It may not be that the owner is just thinking about costs. It could be that they have made an informed decision based on the welfare of the Kit.

Back