• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reoccurence of tumour :(

Hi all, not been on here for a while.

My rabbit Casper had a tumour removed from the base of his ear in July and when they operated it had spread to a lymph node in his cheek area. They removed that too. The lump was sent away to be analysed and it came back malignant. Vet said not much else we can do and just have to see what happens as it is likely it has spread. He appears in good health generally, eating, drinking, bouncing around, pooing and weeing normally. However this weekend I found another small tumour just below the area of the previous one. Am so gutted.

I have phoned vets and just waiting for a call back.

I just don't know what to do. I love him so much but I realise that trying to fight cancer is a battle I am going to lose.

My view is that as long as he is happy and eating and not in any pain I will just love him and take care of him for as long as I have him.

Am just worried that if we remove this tumour whose to say in another 3 months we have another !

Am rambling now, not really after advice just wanted to see if anyone else has been in a similar situation I suppose.

Thanks

Jo

I am sorry to hear that the tumour may have recurred :cry: I would discuss your options with the Vet. He/she may be able to take a FNA from the lump to see if it is another tumour or if it is actually an abscess. Ear base abscesses are relatively common, especially in Lops. So there is a small chance that you may not be facing 'worst case scenario'. If you are and after discussion with the Vet you feel that more surgery is not appropriate then it seems perfectly reasonable to opt for palliative care. As long as a Rabbit feels well within themselves then they can cope with having cancer far better than we, as their care givers, may cope with the knowing that they have cancer. Rabbits live in the moment, they dont worry about what may or may not happen tomorrow. I wish I were more able to be like that !!

Thank you so much for your reply Jane! You have made me feel so much better about it all. Will see what happens and whatever does happen, he will have the best care from me. He's such a lovely little thing, breaks my heart. He's fine in himself at the moment, very happy with his brother, so it's obviously not bothering him whatever it is. Thanks again for your support! XX

I am sorry to hear that the tumour may have recurred :cry: I would discuss your options with the Vet. He/she may be able to take a FNA from the lump to see if it is another tumour or if it is actually an abscess. Ear base abscesses are relatively common, especially in Lops. So there is a small chance that you may not be facing 'worst case scenario'. If you are and after discussion with the Vet you feel that more surgery is not appropriate then it seems perfectly reasonable to opt for palliative care. As long as a Rabbit feels well within themselves then they can cope with having cancer far better than we, as their care givers, may cope with the knowing that they have cancer. Rabbits live in the moment, they dont worry about what may or may not happen tomorrow. I wish I were more able to be like that !!

Thank you both!

Vet says to keep an eye on it this week. He said it might be an absess or it might possibly be another tumour. Hard to say but he said to just watch it for a week.

Back