• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I am terrified, Nibbles is sick :'( {Goodnight, dear bunny...}

WelshieBun

Young Bun
Nibbles isn't eating at all, he isn't drinking, he isn't as inquisitive as normal, he is lethargic... What could be wrong? His stomach is swollen and firm too. I'm praying he'll make it, we're going to the vet in the morning.

Last edited:
If it helps at all, could you show them this?

The situation you describe is life threatening I'm afraid. There is no option but to go to an emergency vet immediately, this evening. It is not an exaggeration to say it is unlikely he will wait until the morning. Sorry to be blunt but I have to fear the worst. :cry:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you not call the emergency vet yourself? If they say you need to come in (which I'm certain you do) then your family may listen? Fingers crossed for you

Can you not call the emergency vet yourself? If they say you need to come in (which I'm certain you do) then your family may listen? Fingers crossed for you

That's the horrible thing; I cannot do anything but wait. As soon as I wake up I'm doing as much as I can, but the only thing I can do at the moment is roughly diagnose it.

My family say that we'll wait until the morning, but I know that if we do it'll probably be too late. I am asking them to phone as we speak, but I am petrified they won't do it.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I agree that he really needs to get to the vets now. I don't want to frighten you more, but I lost a rabbit to similar circumstances in a matter of hours last summer. I hope you can convince your family.

That's the horrible thing; I cannot do anything but wait. As soon as I wake up I'm doing as much as I can, but the only thing I can do at the moment is roughly diagnose it.

If he's not eating then it is life threatening, your parents have a duty of care to take him to the vet. Stasis can be fatal within 12 hours or less, so you really can't wait til morning

Thank you all, I thought it might be bloat and I think I may be right, unfortunately. I don't want him to go because him and George have always been in each others company, and George will be extremely upset if Nibbles isn't there. He's almost completely unresponsive now, he keeps ignoring me and his food.

I know that this is difficult because your parents don't seem to grasp the severity, but bloat is pretty much one of the worst illnesses a rabbit can get, if not the worst. You really, really do need to take him in now. Can't you show your parents this thread? Nibbles is no doubt very, very uncomfortable as well as very poorly and your parents do have an obligation to take him in, to relieve his suffering in one way or another. *hugs*, I imagine how hard this must be for you.

this is a genuine emergency and he will be in pain. please don't wait. do whatever you have to to get there. you'll regret it if you don't. :cry:

whereabouts are you? if there was someone able to, would you trust them to collect him for you and take him in? i'm just trying to think of any way to get him there. :(

Are you able to phone the vets yourself at all and get them to talk to your parents? By the sounds of things you really need to go now and get Nibbles treatment and your parents may pay more attention to what a professional says.

Good luck.

Thank you all, I thought it might be bloat and I think I may be right, unfortunately. I don't want him to go because him and George have always been in each others company, and George will be extremely upset if Nibbles isn't there. He's almost completely unresponsive now, he keeps ignoring me and his food.

If George is his bonded partner he should go along to the vets with him.

If he's unresponsive it's a very bad sign. If you haven't already you need to ring the vet yourself and force your parents to listen. Perhaps if you say that if the vet says he doesn't need to be seen you'll wait until the morning, but that you need to check. Perhaps printing off some information about bloat/stasis would work? Tbh if they'd refuse to read it I'd sit and read it to them. It's more than worth an argument to get your bun the treatment he needs. If money is an issue at all you could try saying you'll have his vet treatment as your Christmas present.

I sympathise with you - it must be awful. It's extremely irresponsible of your parents to be refusing to take a rabbit to the vet when it's clearly an emergency.

Sorry you're in such an awful position. It sounds like Nibbles is really struggling :cry: Hope you can convince your parents to call the vet. Sending lots of vibes xx

I hope Nibbles makes it to the morning and the vet is able to sort him out as soon as possible. I'm so sorry you haven't had support at home over this, it's difficult :cry:

Many vibes for Nibbles, and take George with you too - they really shouldn't be separated x

Nibbles has survived the night, he's so brave. We're taking him to the vets ASAP, and he is still standing which is a ggood sign. I'm going to school but I'm contacting my mum as soon as I can for updates. I wrapped him in a towel with a warm hot water bottle to keep him warm.

Nibbles has survived the night, he's so brave. We're taking him to the vets ASAP, and he is still standing which is a ggood sign. I'm going to school but I'm contacting my mum as soon as I can for updates. I wrapped him in a towel with a warm hot water bottle to keep him warm.

have been thinking of you and nibbles alot. sending loads of vibes x

Back