• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Island - Japan

:love::love: They're so tame.

I wonder how the rabbit population doesn't just get too big for the island? Because I don't think there's any predators and no humans live there, humans only come on the boat to feed them. I'm really curious as to how it works.

There's also Cat Island in Japan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHLLDOyZepY

I too am worried about how they will control the population. It could be a disaster in the making.

I too am worried about how they will control the population. It could be a disaster in the making.

I think it's more a sort of natural population crash and environmental pressures than human intervention; the weaker rabbits die of starvation, exposure and illness, so there's just enough food for the strong. Sounds a bit brutal, but I don't think humans are involved at all.

I have been on various japanese travel sites and read a document about Ōkunoshima or as its known by everyone lol Usagi Jima (rabbit island)

Theres no reports of killings to control the population. but reports of tourists asking the those working on the island to help the weaker, sickly buns...

like any large animal population there are buns who die of starvation, illness and disease... there will be some very gaunt looking bunnies who are dying ect... which obviously is upsetting to see.

The island has lots of stalls where you can purchase pellets to feed them. Amazingly due to vet recommendation they all sell the same pellets.

They also have posters asking you not to feed stuff that is bad for the buns and ones saying dont pick them up in case you scare and injure them and other important stuff like that

They dont interfere with the buns with regards to the population or saving ill buns

Last edited:
wow I have never heard of this before!! Amazing!!! Now on the bucket list, lol, although I might struggle convincing the OH to go all the way to Japan for this!!:lol:

Back