• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Marble and Billy have eaten my flowers!!

tashp90

Warren Veteran
OH bought me flowers about 2 weeks ago. They were on my window sill in the living room. They started dying and I was going to get rid of them today. I have just realised that Marble and Billy have eaten them!!
One of them got onto the windowsill and knocked the vase off into the litter tray, and the flowers are gone!!

I don't know what type of flowers they were - it was a bunch from Asda :lol:

They seem fine in themselves, still eating, pooing etc. I just can't believe they've done this!

Should I just keep an eye on them? And encourage plenty of hay?

NORTY!!!

Hopefully they will be fine but, yes, keep an eye. The only common flower that appears in bunches that I know is bad are lilies. Not sure about anything else. I doubt they'd have eaten the lot if there was anything bad in there. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NORTY!!!

Hopefully they will be fine but, yes, keep an eye. The only common flower that appears in bunches that I know is bad are lilies. Not sure about anything else. I doubt they'd have eaten the lot if there was anything bad in there. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There were definitely no Lilies in there - I don't really like them :lol: I'm going to have to rearrange the room so that they can't get onto the window sill!

:shock: if you don't know what they were yes definitly:shock:

I would hope that they are fine and clever enough to know if they shouldn't have eaten them ;)

:shock: if you don't know what they were yes definitly:shock:

I would hope that they are fine and clever enough to know if they shouldn't have eaten them ;)
I can't even find them online to see what they were :roll:

They seem fine and are both currently munching hay! I can't believe they've eaten them - little monsters!!

Scamp's forever climbing/hanging off things if we've a bunch of flowers. There are some sunflowers at the moment missing the bottom half of their petals.

It's tough without knowing the type of flower - things like roses/sunflowers are fine, and won't cause harm particularly if they are used to greens. Just keep an eye on the munching/pooping.

Personally I would give the Vet a call this morning. It is not only the type of flower the Rabbits ate, but what nasty chemicals the flowers may have been sprayed with. The Vet may suggest running a blood profile on the Rabbits to check for any damage to their kidneys and/or Liver.

Hope that they will be OK.

Personally I would give the Vet a call this morning. It is not only the type of flower the Rabbits ate, but what nasty chemicals the flowers may have been sprayed with. The Vet may suggest running a blood profile on the Rabbits to check for any damage to their kidneys and/or Liver.

Hope that they will be OK.
Mmm, I have to agree: we regularly give Lopsy the dead-head roses (about 1/week) out of our garden and he loves them, but we know there aren't any unexpected chemicals!

Sorry guys I've only just seen all of these replies.

They seem to be absolutely fine. Appetites are great, output is normal, I have been keeping a close eye on them.
They were almost dead and most had started drying out too

Sorry guys I've only just seen all of these replies.

They seem to be absolutely fine. Appetites are great, output is normal, I have been keeping a close eye on them.
They were almost dead and most had started drying out too

Crikey! It took me 30 seconds to realise you were talking about the flowers not the buns! :lol: Hope they don't suffer any ill effects from their norty nibblings!!

Back