• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone have one of these?

Lemonade

Warren Scout
Seen these for sale, wondering if it would be any good for my buns. It's 8 x 6 ft.
b800270f13c184357c908ae3e960fb7e.jpg

I don't think it would, the ramp is too steep for buns and as it's designed for chickens I think the inside space would be much too small.

I like it. If it's 8 by 6 then the inside should be about the same size as a six foot hutch so would be fine. The real could be mage less steep by sitting the bottom of it on something.

I don't know, it's 8x6 so the covered section would be at least 6ft (plus the little boxy bit) I do agree that the ramp is far too steep but a small hutch used as a run shelter underneath the ramp would fix that. I would probably want to add sides or attach a tunnel to that ramp too, if a bun slipped off the highest point of that ramp they could seriously hurt themselves.

I am however assuming that the run is 8x6 if the 8x6 includes the little boxy bit then I wouldn't like it so much, still a good size though!

If the entire base is 8 x 6ft the inside bit should be 6ft long at least not accounting for the extra box nesting area which is fantastic. The height of the inside sheltered area looks quite a bit higher than the 2ft minimum so that's great too. It looks like a fantastic size which exceeds the recommended minimum of 6 x 2 x 2 + 8 x 4 x 2 and it really makes use of the space too with the top part above the ground, plus I really like the felted roof with overhang as well as the ventilation part just above the box. I like the bottom part being party boarded over to to provide some shelter.

My concerns with the setup would be just a few little things... the type of wood that it's made of - it looks like it could be fairly thin chinese fir type or similar wood but also looks like it could be timber. As long as it's timber it should be great and it's easy to maintain into the future. The mesh would need to be 19g or thicker and 1 x 1/2 inch minimum to prevent help predators getting in. Both the wood and mesh type can be easily checked with the manufacturer.

My main concern would be the ramp but that's really quite easy to fix. I would definitely want to screw some bannister type thing to either side of the ramp. Homebase etc do a lot of skirting boards which would be a great height, or narrow pieces of timber. They'll also cut to size for you so all you need to do is screw them on and ensure that no screws are poking out. I would also additionally want to put the end of the ramp on a table or platform to make the ramp less steep as bunnies can struggle for grip. As long as the table/platform is secure and leaves enough room for them to hop on and off it should work well. As mentioned above, a hutch can work well for this or you can go for cheaper options. Something like this for example might work perfectly: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190790961400?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

My only other question is how do you access the covered part for cleaning out etc? Is there a door on the outside to access it, or is it just the slidey door and the access to the external coop bit? That could make cleaning out quite awkward so if it doesn't come with a door it may be worth asking them to put a large one in somewhere for you.

I've seen small versions for sale but not one that size that I can remember. I think size wise it would be fine - same as the recommended hutch run, but nice to have the head room.

yaretzi makes some excellent points to check out though.

Do you know the manufacturer? They might be able to give you a stockist list :)

Thanks for the replies, they're really helpful.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-GIANT-Chicken-Coop-Poultry-Cat-Rabbit-House-CC058-upto-12-hens-8ft-x-6ft-/281466402119?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item4188b47547

That's the eBay advert. Providing it's from the same place, the local garden center was using two of these to keep chickens in last time I was there. Can't admit to having a thorough look but from what I can remember, it looked well made.

Think I'll take a wander to said garden center this week, see if it's still there and whether or not I can have a better look.

Last edited:
I have this coop and used to keep my chickens in it til all they passed away. It's a good size but a real pain to clean out, and I used to smack my head loads! It's also really flimsy and a fox would be through it in minutes. I once kicked the door gently to close it and the mesh just tore off :shock: I also agree that the ramp is too steep, although you could always raise the end up.

I have this coop and used to keep my chickens in it til all they passed away. It's a good size but a real pain to clean out, and I used to smack my head loads! It's also really flimsy and a fox would be through it in minutes. I once kicked the door gently to close it and the mesh just tore off :shock: I also agree that the ramp is too steep, although you could always raise the end up.

I think I'll look for something else...!

Thank you :)

Back