• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Switch to rabbit cage?

MandyLouise

Young Bun
Hi! Long time since I've been on the forums!

Need a little advice and was hoping someone could help. :) My girl, Coco is 5 years old (6 next March), she has been litter trained from very young age but recently she has begun to pee in every corner of her dog crate as well as her litter tray. As she's on newspaper outside the tray, I've noticed she's getting wee stained feet and i'm worried they will get sore.

As well as the toilet issues, whenever I clean her tray out she goes mad and chucks all the straw out. I'm going to take her to the vets but was also thinking would it be better to put her in a rabbit cage with the deep trays, fill it with sawdust and then I could take out any dirty bits daily?

Sorry if I'm rambling on and hope this is the right place to put this.

Last edited:
A vet trip sounds like a good idea, it might be she's got an infection that's causing her change in habits, sometimes it can be other things too for example a little bit of arthritis effecting her ability to lift her tail when going.

How big is your litter tray? If it's a standard size then upgrading to an underbed storage box may help as they are quite a bit bigger to more room for the throwing stuff without making a mess.

It's a standard size litter tray, will switch it and see if that helps. Yes definitely taking a trip to the vets, hopefully it's nothing but doesn't hurt to get her checked over, although she may disagree, the vets not her favourite person haha. Thanks :)

Back