• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bad news

fiesta_17

New Kit
I had 3 continental giant rabbit

Gary
Sala
buddy

I had problems with garys teeth to start with and I lost him at age off 3 had a op on him but didn’t take it well after it and stopped eating

Sala I had to put to sleep last night and she was breathing very very fast and just putting her head up in air ...I took her to vets right away but time I got there she had took a turn at the door and was jumping about crazy then she just lien down as if she was away but you could still see she breathing a small bit but vet said nuffing that can do nice thing to do is to put her to sleep .

buddy I had at the vets to day just to make sure he is ok and he is fit and healthy ...we do have problems with his eyes as you is got small tear ducts and just being told to keep his eyes clean all time with salt water ... the vets had told my gf about getting a jag to stay him catching and thing and I was just wanting to know if anybody is had theses done

all help would be great thanks

thanks jack i will do this ....so gutted to have lost them two this year and my wee dog that wos 14 years old to bad year for me

I am so sorry for your losses :cry: as JJ has said, I would definitely recommend you have your remaining rabbit vaccinated :thumb:

i will be phoneing vet on monday to get him booked in.....do you think he will be ok his self he is got a very large out door hut about 4 feet with 4 feet and 4 feet run ..with heat lamps for him to ...just he is all ways had a uthere rabbit in with him

i will be phoneing vet on monday to get him booked in.....do you think he will be ok his self he is got a very large out door hut about 4 feet with 4 feet and 4 feet run ..with heat lamps for him to ...just he is all ways had a uthere rabbit in with him

If you are not in the position to take on another Rabbit to keep him company then could he become a House Rabbit so he has more interaction with his human family ? Rabbits are very social animals and it is not really ideal for any Rabbit to live alone outside. Personally I could never keep a single Rabbit outside.

Also, does he spend all the time in the hut/run ? You mentioned that he is a Continental Giant. These Rabbits need a much larger living environment than that you describe.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

There is some very useful information about Rabbit Health and Welfare needs on the Rabbit Welfare Fund Site

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/?section=leaflets.html

Back