• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor rabbits and central heating

iggyperdyandme

Alpha Buck
I had read a couple of times recently about being careful bringing outdoor rabbits inside in the winter because of the change in temp. This got me thinking a bit about central heating in general and indoor rabbits.

Our current house has stupid heaters which we can put on when we are home only so it will be warmer in the eve and my rabbits will experience a fluctuation in temp duirng the day. Will this be harmful?

I have only ever had indoor rabbits and it got my thinking about whether constant low temp central heating would be better (which is what we will have in a coupld of weeks)?

the new house had log fires too which I am now a bit worried will make the house too hot?

I have had rabbits for a number of years and never really thought about the impact of the difference in temp throughout the day on them!:shock:

The trouble with outside to in is the big change in temperatures can muck up a rabbits winter coat, I wouldn't have though the change you'd experience would be too much of a swing. Rabbits tend to like cooler temperatures, but I've see bunnies napping by radiators/fires so as long as they can hop away if they want to a cooler spot I wouldn't be too worried.

The trouble with outside to in is the big change in temperatures can muck up a rabbits winter coat, I wouldn't have though the change you'd experience would be too much of a swing. Rabbits tend to like cooler temperatures, but I've see bunnies napping by radiators/fires so as long as they can hop away if they want to a cooler spot I wouldn't be too worried.

Thank you. Walt is sat under the heater at the moment of all the places in the room! :roll:

Mine are indoors and part of their pen is in front of the radiator. I've never had an issue with the temp change. I put the heating on as little as possible but my mam does put it on during the day when she's in. They have each other and loads of hay if they want to snuggle up when it is cold though so I don't worry too much.

I think Ludo quite likes my heater :oops:

He can get away from it if he wants but sleeps near it.

But he's not a very hardy rabbit :lol::love:

Mine are indoors and part of their pen is in front of the radiator. I've never had an issue with the temp change. I put the heating on as little as possible but my mam does put it on during the day when she's in. They have each other and loads of hay if they want to snuggle up when it is cold though so I don't worry too much.

That sounds lovely and snuggly for winter. :love: I have genuinely never thought about the heating before!

Good question and thank you for the responses. My two are indoors with the heating on first thing and then in the evenings but off all day when we are out. They have a rug to curl up on and a small nest box but no hay filled hidey hole. Do you think I should add one for winter?

I have my radiator in that room set to either 1 or 2 depending on the temperature outside. Sometimes I worry about that too but they don't seem bothered by it. The radiator is either just warm or its off. So I don't think it bothers them at all!

Back