• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help

Jordanbarr

New Kit
My rabbit has only been eating half as much food for around 2 weeks then on Tuesday morning we found him looking all uncomfortable and restless. When we returned home from work he was in the same position and not moved all day (monitored him on cctv) he had not eaten a thing and when I tempted him with treats,carrots and other favourite foods he wasn't intrested.

We took him straight to the vets who said his temp was 34 degrees and they are going to keep him in!

I have had regular updates off them saying they have give him gut stimulant injections and pain relif also they have give him syringe feeding with critical care but he has not shown any improvement apart from he ate a couple of dandelions last night

I've just recived another phone call saying he's took a turn for the worst he's laying on his side panting! They are going to administer a stronger pain killer and another stimulant and monitor him for another 2 hours but then they said this is the last hope really!

He is a 5 year and 7 month goant french lop house rabbit!

Does anyone have any suggestions because the vet is talking about uthanasia been the most humane thing to do if this doesn't work?

Rabbit's guts are designed to continually process food, so it's important food goes in and comes out the other end. When that stops happening you usually treat the acute problem (the rabbit not eating) which is what the vet is doing but it's often a symptom of something else eg pain from another illness or a tooth problem. Unfortunately if the vet can't get your rabbit eating and stable again, and it sounds like they are doing all the right things, then there isn't really another option than to put to sleep to prevent any suffering.

Have they checked for a blockage? giving a bun gut stimulants with a blockage could be very harmful. Unfortunately when a bun gets to this stage (panting and on their side) it often means they are beyond the point of recovering, so I would prepare for the worst.

I am very sorry this is happening. Hoping for a miracle. x

What sad news, poor wee bunny....

i hope there is a recovery...ithey are such fragile creatures

I do hope for a miracle for your bunny :cry: 34c is to low a temperature, your vets are doing all they can, just sometimes they cannot be helped, you have to look at the evidence your vets have given you, and if all options have been taken with no improvement, the kindest thing to do :cry:

sending many prayers

just looked up your other posts noticed your bunny was recently seen for possible sore hocks? could it be related to this? pain and so not eating ?

any news? hope your rabbit is ok x

Unfortunately we got called to the vets late last night because he had taken a turn for the worst. I took him some of his favourite food but it was clear he was not intrested he was just laid out all floppy. We decided between us and the vet the kindest thing to do was put him to sleep. We spent some time together then I stayed with him while he was put to sleep.

The house feels so empty today I miss him so much but couldn't see him in pain and nothing like his usual self for much longer!

Unfortunately we got called to the vets late last night because he had taken a turn for the worst. I took him some of his favourite food but it was clear he was not intrested he was just laid out all floppy. We decided between us and the vet the kindest thing to do was put him to sleep. We spent some time together then I stayed with him while he was put to sleep.

The house feels so empty today I miss him so much but couldn't see him in pain and nothing like his usual self for much longer!

So sorry to hear this update. It sounds like you made the right decision for him.

Binky free. xx

Back