• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

going to have to let Matilda go.u/d going to try and remove eye ud she's gone8-(

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
She was one of the REW bunnies (for those that remember), but she has developed a tumour behind her eye, I am trying to stay positive but I am just so sad :(. Last night I thought I would let her go before I went away this weekend, as she was very lethargic, but she has spent the day at the vets and had a GA. This morning she was more like her normal self so I think I might observe over the next 24 hours and make a decision in the morning. She is happy with Gnasher and she is on a lot of pain relief so she is quite bouncy in herself, but not Matilda of old as it is still affecting her. I want to make the decision at the right time, but at the mo (or at least today) she has a good quality of life.

Typically I am going away this weekend, but the nurse from my vet stays and looks after my bunnies, so she will have the best care. I have said if I decide not to let her go before I go away, if she seems like she is suffering at all to let her go.

I will miss her so much and it's an end of an era :(, I am really trying not to dwell, but it is very hard :must think positive thoughts:

I wont let her suffer though, she was saved from a place that would have let her suffer, tortured her and given her a horrific death, I owe it to her to let her go with dignity :cry:

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this, and I definitely remember the REWs. She's had a lovely life with you. x

Thank you, it's so unfair but then I guess death ever is fair. I am gutted for her because she is such a happy rabbit. Usually when I have lost one of my own pets it's a fight to keep them alive, a bloat issues etc and they're in at vets and they pass trying to save them, it's hard when you have to judge "the time"

Thank you, it's so unfair but then I guess death ever is fair. I am gutted for her because she is such a happy rabbit. Usually when I have lost one of my own pets it's a fight to keep them alive, a bloat issues etc and they're in at vets and they pass trying to save them, it's hard when you have to judge "the time"

It really is. I never understand when people say that you 'know' when it's the time, as I hardly ever seem to know, and change my mind constantly!

Me too, it's so hard to judge, I was determined I was going to give her a couple of days at home with Gnasher then let her go tomorrow, but this morning has thrown me as she was excited to see me, surely if she was that miserable she wouldn't have been :? :(

In cases like those, and I seem to have had a lot (both with the bunnies and guinea pigs - as I say, it's so rarely straightforward!), in the end I judge on a sort of % of happy time against miserable. And also act to prevent the miserable times getting even higher. It's incredibly tough though.

Yes this is why I was so sure I was going to do it tomorrow, she looked so unhappy yesterday, arrrgghh so hard :cry:

Oh I'm so sorry ... Poor you having this at a time when you are not around this weekend.

I hope the situation clarifies itself for you, and Matilda lets you know her wishes :love:

Yes this is why I was so sure I was going to do it tomorrow, she looked so unhappy yesterday, arrrgghh so hard :cry:

The last time I had this happen was with Cassie pig last year. We used to say that she must be able to hear and understand what we were saying, as we'd be saying that we'd have to take her to the vets in the morning, then in the morning she would be loads better! This happened so many times! :shock:

I am so sorry Tree, I remember the REW 8 very well and all that you and a others did for them. Whatever happens, Matilda will have had an amazing life with you. I hope that whenever the time is right, it is when she feels ready and that it is peaceful. Sending vibes for Matilda and hugs for you xx

I remember them too. I hope she can remain comfortable for a little longer and that you can enjoys your time together. x

The REW story was before my time on here, but I'm sure she has had a fantastic life with you :thumb: I hope she remains comfortable for a long time yet, sending vibes xx

Awww Sarah poor Cassie pig and poor you, you do get up and down emotions over it all :(

Thanks so much for you support guys :love: :love:

Aww, how long ago was that now - it seems like ages? It's tough when it's not clear cut and you have to pick when. It's good you've got such knowledgeable help, to keep an eye over the weekend.

You did a fantastic thing for her, I am so sorry you are having to make this decision but it sounds like the right thing. I hope its peaceful

Back