• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Early vaccinations?

Kirotea

Mama Doe
Millie and Maddie are due their vaccinations at the beginning of December. They also need their claws cut which I'm incapable of doing! I'd rather do this all on one vet trip as whilst they don't mind travelling it's a bit of a trauma trying to get them in the vet box!

Does it matter therefore if they have their vaccinations a month early? I didn't pay for the first one as they were with the RSPCA then and I haven't got to pay for this one after they won a photo comp at the vets, so I'm not losing out money wise. Presumably there's no medical reason they couldn't get it done a month early?

Thanks

ETA: Ongoing as well it would be better for me to take them for vaccinations in November, you know what it gets like in December with the run up to Christmas :roll:

Last edited:
Millie and Maddie are due their vaccinations at the beginning of December. They also need their claws cut which I'm incapable of doing! I'd rather do this all on one vet trip as whilst they don't mind travelling it's a bit of a trauma trying to get them in the vet box!

Does it matter therefore if they have their vaccinations a month early? I didn't pay for the first one as they were with the RSPCA then and I haven't got to pay for this one after they won a photo comp at the vets, so I'm not losing out money wise. Presumably there's no medical reason they couldn't get it done a month early?

Thanks

I don't think it will harm them. Its obviously dangerous to do it late but a month early I'm sure will be fine!

It's definitely okay to do them a month early, I often do mine 3-4 weeks early just in case anything happens and it's hard to get there before their due date. All the vets I've used have had no problems with it.

There's been a myxi outbreak where I live (Cambridgeshire) and was speaking to our vet about vaccs. He said that it's probably best to get them done every nine months if you're in a high risk area i.e. lots of wild rabbits etc. so basically what everyone else said - will be fine!

:)

A month earlier is going to be fine. I doubt there would be a side effect to an earlier schedule of vaccination. My rabbits had an early vaccination this year as well since going to the vet next month might be impossible.

Back