• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny had op today - how do I syringe in medicine ?

Mormordook

Young Bun
Hi my girl bunny Lady Lapin was spayed today and has been given medicine and some stuff to take 3 times a day to help her little digestive system. I have separated her from her friend tonight and is in a "hospital" cage in a quiet room. The vet said all going well she could go back with her friend tomorrow. My question really is how can I syringe in the stuff without lifting her up. I am scared to hurt her as I know she will wriggle if I try and put it in her mouth. I have put in some dry food , hay and some tomato and broccoli but as yet she hasn't touched the food. I tried squirting the stuff on to a bit of food but I am worried I may have wasted that dose. Vet said if she isn't eating by tomorrow I should contact him. Bunny number 2 goes in on Friday for same op. What a week ! Thanks in advance :)

I tend to kneel on the floor with the bun facing away from me and between my knees - that stops them backing up. Then one hand over the head and the other with the syringe. You want to poke it in just to one side so you get it behind/to the side of the front teeth :)

I'm copying and saving your reply, Tamsin! I've made so many trips to the vet for syringe feeding/meds, she always gets away from me. I've even resorted to squirting her fur; she got it by cleaning it off :roll:

I managed to lift her out by wrapping her in a towel although I did still worry I was hurting her wee tummy area . I managed to get the syringe in her wee mouth and the silly syringe thing was so stiff I couldn't get it to work ! Typical ! I persevered and the paste shot out and went on the towel. I scooped it up on the end of the syringe and poked it back in so I think she got some anyway. The rest was round her mouth so hopefully she will lick it off. She still hasn't actually eaten yet and isn't too keen being separated from her buddy. Hopefully overnight she will eat. Thanks for the advice on facing her away from me ! 🐰

I tend to try the same way as Tamsin.

It is a big op so your bunny may not feel like eating just yet. Hopefully she will start eating by the morning on her own. Try to tempt her with anything she likes and herbs I find are first to be eaten e.g. thyme, carrot tops, kale rather than their more usual things.

I tend to try the same way as Tamsin.

It is a big op so your bunny may not feel like eating just yet. Hopefully she will start eating by the morning on her own. Try to tempt her with anything she likes and herbs I find are first to be eaten e.g. thyme, carrot tops, kale rather than their more usual things.

Hi - she was in being spayed yesterday. She had eaten a little of dry food through the night and today she has had some fresh greens and some grass I brought in for her from the garden. I think she is on the mend -phew ! I gave her the metacam this morning ( for 5 days ) ..... If she is eating normally I wondered if she still needed the paste ? I am back tomorrow with girl rabbit number 2 for the same op :( so I can ask vet. Poor wee bunnies 🐰🐰

Hi - she was in being spayed yesterday. She had eaten a little of dry food through the night and today she has had some fresh greens and some grass I brought in for her from the garden. I think she is on the mend -phew ! I gave her the metacam this morning ( for 5 days ) ..... If she is eating normally I wondered if she still needed the paste ? I am back tomorrow with girl rabbit number 2 for the same op :( so I can ask vet. Poor wee bunnies 

She may need some more painkiller (metacam) if she is still not 100%. Ask your vet for some as your other bun may need some too (and it is the weekend nearly do you don't want to have to go back).

Sounds like she is doing OK though. My girl was about 3 days before she would eat properly so as long as they are taking something they should be OK and this will increas. Just have lots of things to tempt both of them for a few days.

I tend to use the Oxbow Fine blend to syringe feed as you can make it to your own consistency to help supplement them.

I fostered a bun for a few days recently...she loved basil so I put the meds on basil leaves.....yummy apparently !!!!

Back