• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The oldest a rabbit can be neutered?

DomaNikki

Mama Doe
Is there an age they won't neuter from?

I have taken on my bf's rex rabbit this summer, they think she is about 4 years and I wondered if there was a sort of cut off point for neutering

As long as she was healthy in all other aspects, I'd spay her. If she was five or over I'd consider it more carefully, but the oldest I'd want to spay mine is probably six or seven depending on the rabbit :)

There is no age limit provided the rabbit appears to be in very good health. The oldest I have had a doe spayed was 5.1/2.

I've recently had an 8 year old spayed...she needed a dental anyway so decided to go for it. Anyway after lots of bowel problems afterwards she is now relatively recovered even though her poos have never got back to how they were before! I would say 4 is ok though...plus she may have cancer already at that age so if you didn't you would spend your time worrying about cancer developing.

I agree that if she is healthy then 4 is not too old to spay her. I would not spay a Rabbit of 6+ without prior bloods and chest Xray being taken

Is there an age they won't neuter from?

I have taken on my bf's rex rabbit this summer, they think she is about 4 years and I wondered if there was a sort of cut off point for neutering

Four years old isn't 'old' as in geriatric :) I would definitely spay a four year old rabbit, as with several years ahead, it's good to ensure she doesn't get uterine cancer.

Back