• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My blue mini lop rabbit "Alfie"

nickmarts

New Kit
Hey guys! I recently purchased a rabbit for the first time and have spent a lot of time with him since I got him, I've looked at plenty of FAQ's and a lot of forums but I think I need some one on one advice from someone who knows exactly what their taking about.
I understand he's young but I just need someone to assure me that it's all normal.
Alfie won't come out of his cage, he won't take food from my hand, in fact I HAVNT seen him eat atall yet but he doesn't drink a lot of water which is a good thing, Mabey he doesn't like pellets or something I don't know, any advice will be much appreciated guys and I will take it all on board!
Thankyou!
Regards,
Nicky.

Hey guys! I recently purchased a rabbit for the first time and have spent a lot of time with him since I got him, I've looked at plenty of FAQ's and a lot of forums but I think I need some one on one advice from someone who knows exactly what their taking about.
I understand he's young but I just need someone to assure me that it's all normal.
Alfie won't come out of his cage, he won't take food from my hand, in fact I HAVNT seen him eat atall yet but he doesn't drink a lot of water which is a good thing, Mabey he doesn't like pellets or something I don't know, any advice will be much appreciated guys and I will take it all on board!
Thankyou!
Regards,
Nicky.

Welcome there's a LOT to learn I hope you are willing to listen to us all, people here are full of knowledge! :wave:

How old is your new bunny?

What is the bunny being fed? Is it hay? Hay is the most important part of a rabbit diet. If he has just gotten to your home recently he is probably nervous and a little unsure of his surroundings, let him be alone in a quiet place to get used to the new area. He should eat hay fairly quickly. A rabbit that has not eaten for over 24 hours is in danger of its gut shutting down so its best to leave him be and maybe peek in now and then to see if he has eaten?

Try and get that sorted first, then we can shower more knowledge onto you! :lol:

Hi Sarah! It sounds like I've come to the right place! [emoji2]

I am happy to listen to everything that everyone has to say because I really would like to bond well with Alfie, weather it takes days weeks or months I will be patient with him.

My bunny is 10 weeks old and I had put hay in his bed with him, quite a lot of hay actually. Is that right?

Yes I will try that out! Should I be putting hay in there every night? As I put hay in there yesterday and had a peek in today and it didn't seem to have gone down that much :(

I also have a mixed bowl of pellets and other food that the pet shop provided me with, should I put that in with him or only feed him from hand?

Hi Sarah! It sounds like I've come to the right place! [emoji2]

I am happy to listen to everything that everyone has to say because I really would like to bond well with Alfie, weather it takes days weeks or months I will be patient with him.

My bunny is 10 weeks old and I had put hay in his bed with him, quite a lot of hay actually. Is that right?

Yes I will try that out! Should I be putting hay in there every night? As I put hay in there yesterday and had a peek in today and it didn't seem to have gone down that much :(

I put new hay in with my two every day but your bu still should have eaten the stuff you put in yesterday, not necessarily it all but you should have seen him eat some! Mine waste tonnes of hay! :lol:

As I said your bun is just a little baby, he will be overwhelmed by new sights and sounds. Try giving him some fresh hay and leave him alone in a quiet room. Is he in a cage? can you peek in now and then to see if he is eating? always ensure he has a ''hidey hole'' to go into, its important that rabbits can feel they have a ''safe place'' x

I just had another look and he has eaten some so I added abit more for him, he's in a cage yes but should I leave the door open or closed? I could have a peek so I'll keep an eye on him, so it's normal that he's not coming up to me and my partner for attention and it should pick up when he realises we are not a threat?

I also have a mixed bowl of pellets and other food that the pet shop provided me with, should I put that in with him or only feed him from hand?

What is the other food they provided? Is it what he was eating before he came to you? What pellets is it?

Mine have Excel Junior and Dwarf, a lot here feed their bunnies Science selective too. When I first got my two I was given museli style food, when I joined here I quickly realized museli is bad for bunnies, I made the change slowly mixing the new food gradually to the old one and adding more and more until they only ate the Excel!

Baby bunnies should have access to pellet at all times as they grow quickly, until they are around 6 months I believe. x

I just had another look and he has eaten some so I added abit more for him, he's in a cage yes but should I leave the door open or closed? I could have a peek so I'll keep an eye on him, so it's normal that he's not coming up to me and my partner for attention and it should pick up when he realises we are not a threat?

Yes its normal for them not to want to ''love'' you initially, rabbits aren't very lovvey in all honesty and don't really like to be picked up and cuddled,. I would leave your cages closed for the first couple of days and allow him to adjust to just the cage first. Then start allowing him time out. It will take time for your bunny to trust you, I started out by sitting on the floor whilst my two were running around and letting them explore me, eventually I could give them a little food from my hand and then even give them a stroke. Now they don't mind me at all :lol:

Ok then Ive taken everything you've said into consideration, I'll let you know how it goes in a few days, thanks again Sarah! [emoji2]

Oh and and another couple of tips in case you hadn't heard these already through your reading:

1. Rabbits are generally much happier in pairs, if when Alfie is old enough you can get him neutered and then bond him with a neutered female from a rescue he will be a happier bunny!
2. He will need vaccinations for VHD and Myxomatosis before long, you can ask your vet about that.
3. Neutering is so important when he is the right age, ask your vet about this too.

All these things will ensure Alfie lives as long and healthy a life as he can, good luck with him and thank you for coming for advice :wave:

Hi and welcome :wave:

I thought I would just chuck my two pence worth in on top of what Sarah has said :) You don't need to wait to get him vaccinated. My little one was done at about 8 weeks I think, so your vet should be able to do him now. The vet will also give him a good going over and feel his tummy, check his ears/eyes etc.

As well as making sure that he is eating you need to make sure that he is pooing/weeing ok as this is just as important. I'm sure he's probably too young to have any dental issues yet so he's probably just a bit unsettled, but it is important that he eats a lot of hay to wear his teeth as well as keep his guts moving. He will come round in time to being with you. Is he indoors? It might be that he is scared of household noises if so, rather than you in particular. My Buster hates cooking smells/sounds. He goes into proper petrified bunny mode when something is frying, and I feel awfully guilty.

Hopefully he'll come out soon and start to bond with you. Have you got any pics of the little fella? Keep us posted on his progress :)

He has started to come round slowly, but slow progress is better than no progress! I opened his cage and he jumped straight out and went to lay with his legs spread out, I've put abit more hay in his cage now so hopefully by morning it would have been eaten, yes he's in the house but he rarely gets startled and jumps. I Havnt taken many photos yet but here's a few:) thank you for your advice again guys, I think since I took your advice on board he seems to have opened up slightly, by giving him space he feels closer to me, if that makes sense? Haha
d1bf36dd360bb0ae23038d53fcb8bfa3.jpg

a3a85491d418160e3ab2c1a326721e89.jpg

8a450859c11d1d81d9ab8e2f7c244e84.jpg

Oh gosh he is just :love:

I can't think of anything else to add yet, other than to ask about his housing. What type and size of cage is he in? He's only a little one now, but he will grow, and all rabbits need lots of space. Many people here rabbit proof (rabbits chew just about EVERYTHING to wear their teeth, which are always growing, down, so watch your wires, wallpaper and wicker furniture!) their whole houses or a room and let them free range. Others provide them with as big cages, often with pens attached, as possible and let them out to exercise for several hours a day. I managed to find an XXL dog crate on eBay for £40; much cheaper and more spacious then most rabbit cages in pet shops.

Thanks guys he is cute Isn't he haha
At the moment he's in a carrier cage, he loves it he goes in and out of their on his own and I tried a puppy pen and he just does not like it he just wants his carrier back lol he's made a proper little den in there haha
He became a lot more lively last night I watched a lot of videos on how to handle/pick your rabbit up and he hasn't struggled or anything, I have the day off work today so I'm going to spend as much time with him as possible and see if we can bond some more :)

Welcome to RU :thumb:

OH MY!!

He is adorable.

Great advice already given, everyone here has a wealth of knowledge & we just love lots of pictures :wave:

Yes I have defiantly come to the right place!

Then pictures you will have! :lol: I'll try and get some more nice ones :)

He is a little Beaut! Sounds like he's getting used to you so hopefully with more time he'll be super friendly. Both my mini lops are super friendly, although Buster will hop off if you so much as think about picking him up. I'd got him really used to being handled but now I don't stand a chance. The next nIl clip at the vets could be interesting as he was still a bit woozy from the GA after being neutered last time!!

I took Alfie to get his nails clipped yesterday and he let the vet pick him up put him on his back, I couldn't believe my eyes because he wouldn't let me pick him up yesterday but he will today lol he's a little fibber I think haha

Back