• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding pairs into a large group

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
Is it doable or insane?

I have three pairs and two single girls which if they lived in a large group of 8 would make life a lot easier and they could all live together of course and get more space. I know some people have managed and am keen to know how they did it?

Not that many but I've bonded 2 pairs and a single. We did it in blocks, so the two pairs and then the single a couple of months later. My theory was then it was less to take out of the mix.

I have done it a few different ways. When I had a big group (10 plus). I could just add buns as I wanted. They didn't seem to notice. I didn't bother with neutral territory, just usually let them out to play in the garden, cleaned the room & when they came back in, added one. I can hear RU recoil in horror:lol:

Other than that I would introduce as Deelove suggests - a pair to a pair, then add a pair etc etc. Mainly cos if all hell breaks loose, you can't be 3 places at one:lol:

Life was easier when I had a group. I would do it now except my wildie male hates other male buns, so I can't increase the group size.:lol:

Most I ever did was 2 pairs to form a quad. I think Parsnipbun has some groups?

Actually you know what? It was ages ago I tried. I used to have massive issues with referred aggression too with wildie, but now he lives alongside another pair & they are fine. They'd have an awesome amount of space if they bonded. & wildie loves space. Hmmmm. Plus they are all older & calmer now. All been neutered for years. Guess what I'm trying next weekend :oops::lol:

Actually you know what? It was ages ago I tried. I used to have massive issues with referred aggression too with wildie, but now he lives alongside another pair & they are fine. They'd have an awesome amount of space if they bonded. & wildie loves space. Hmmmm. Plus they are all older & calmer now. All been neutered for years. Guess what I'm trying next weekend :oops::lol:

Do it! I'm going to attempt to bond mine into a group too, but don't have any time off till December :evil:

How exciting! Glad I didnt bond all mine into a group now as our new garden wouldnt be big enough for a large set up.

I do think large groups are a brilliant idea though. I love having the quad. Seeing a pile of rabbits all cuddled together is wonderful x

I bonded 2 pairs into a quad, and I've entertained bonding them with my other groups, but the main thing that puts me off is whether its harder to notice individuals input/output in a big group?

I would definitely not bond my eldest pair with the other 10 as I think they'd find the others a bit much.

I bonded 2 pairs into a quad, and I've entertained bonding them with my other groups, but the main thing that puts me off is whether its harder to notice individuals input/output in a big group?

I would definitely not bond my eldest pair with the other 10 as I think they'd find the others a bit much.

I know I couldn't which is why I prefer pairs to large groups. Especially as so many of mine now have age related health issues. I would never forgive myself if I failed to notice a decline in one of them or if bonding stress caused an exacerbation of a pre-existing condition.

I like large groups, but only in equal numbers. My quad were awesome but when Badger died, they fell out so I'd be loath to try a quad or group of 6 with my lot again as they'd be in odd number when one died :cry:

Back