• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit and another animal in the same house (not room) ?

fusion200

New Kit
Because of bordetella? I'm interested in a rabbit, but I have guinea pigs, rats and a hamster, the rabbit wouldn't be in the same room, but the same house.
Does anyone here have a rabbit and something else aswell?

We have a range of pets in the same household and never had any issues. Rabbit, tortoise, rat, ferret and dog. Obviously they dont live together apart from the buns always been free range with Polo(Chihuahua) 5 years without a hitch... But that is not something i advise, we are just lucky Polo accepts all creatures like a best buddy. I wouldnt allow that with any other dog.

It is possible that bordatella can affect piggies even if the buns are in the same room...however, I think this is pretty rare. If the bun was in a different room, I don't think there would be any problems. When I have looked after my friend's pigs, I have just kept them completely separate from the buns and not let them used a shared space.

our downstairs is basically one room, so we have always had the rabbits and guinea pigs in the same room. they don't share the same spaces though and have separate cleaning equipment, but other than that, no special precautions.

asked the vet this question when i planned to adopt piggies and he said rabbits seem to get a bad press for bordatella when other animals can pass it aswell. also, there will always be some potential issues with any different species sharing a space, although it is uncommon. :wave:

Back