• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spayed rabbit

I took my female rabbit to the vets last week to get spayed. They said there was a thickening of her uterus. After the operation i was told she had a deformed uterus that was full of pus and liquid. There was no symptoms before this to my knowledge. She was peeing everywhere and she drank more water than my other bunny. I don't know if it was connected. Willow stopped eating and pooing after the operation and after daily visits to the vet with lots of medication and a couple of overnight stays, willow died this morning. [emoji25]

Really sorry for your loss - no idea on what happened or why but really sorry she didn't make it
Binky free willow xx

Hi, I'm sorry about your loss. I don't know if you would consider it or even could have it done now but a lot of people opt to have a necropsy done after such a death, basically its a check to see if the vets can distinguish a cause of death. It often makes owners feel better because they often learn that there was nothing they could have done anyway. If its possible it might give you some closure?

If so sorry you lost your bunny. Binky free little one xx

:cry:.. What sad news about Willow.. i am very sorry to hear this..

Binky free sweetheart xxxx

I am so sorry for your loss, Binky free Willow.

Unfortunately it sounds as though she may have been suffering from pyometra prior to surgery. There is some more information on this page if you feel strong enough to have a look. Fatal blood poisoning can occur from a pyometra. However some rabbits don't recover very well from surgery and are reluctant to eat again. Their digestive systems are very sensitive and a gut interruption can sadly lead to to anorexia and later death. I am not a vet however and if you felt able, you could have a post mortem done to determine the cause of death.

Once again, i am very sorry for your loss x

She didn't have any of the symptoms before the operation. Although the vet said she could feel a thickening in her uterus. It was only discovered during the operation. I don't really want to do a post mortem 😢 i have been looking it all up. Just wasn't expecting it all to go so wrong.

Benjamin and willow had seperate cages but played together and shared cages when they were open. I have them side by side. How long should i leave willows cage? As soon as i let them out benjamin always jumped straight into willows cage to use her toilet and eat her hay.

Back