• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you risk it? (Group bonding)

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
Firstly, to some this thread may appear morbid and detached. Please know that this situation is actually really hard for me, which is why I haven't discussed it on here before.

Basically, Cupcake may not be around by Christmas :cry: She has been suffering for the past year with repeated bouts of snuffles and stasis, and it's sucking the life out of her. We can't figure out what's triggering it, she's such a laidback bunny and her husbun Pud is also very chilled, so we don't think it's stress. She originally came from PaH and I took her on when her owner got bored :roll: so perhaps she has something wrong genetically? I don't know.

She is now very, very thin, and a bit unsteady on her feet (Though she still tries to periscope to greet me :love:). I know everyone means well, but please don't offer solutions or treatments etc; I'm working with my vet to try and fight this, and I'm doing everything I can for her. As of right now she is relatively stable, apart from a snuffles flare up, and hasn't lost any more weight. I'm hopeful that she can remain stable, and that I will have longer left with her, but we're really not sure. I haven't mentioned her illness really on here before as it's just too upsetting.

So that, leads me to the point of this thread. If the worst happens, I will be left with two pairs, and two singles. (Wotsit & Ted, Noodles & Pickle, Pud, and Nahla) We are supposed to be converting the shed properly for the bunnies over the next few months, and if possible I'd really like to bond them into a group so they can have the full space, and not just pens. If Cupcake is still here :)love:) then I won't be able to do that which is fine (my girls hate eachother) but I just want to be prepared for the worst.

So, if you had one feisty girl and four very laid-back, friendly boys, would you give it a go? I'm not sure whether I'd risk trying to bond Nahla with them, she hates other bunnies :lol:

Sorry for the essay :oops: I just wanted to give the backstory.

Sorry to hear about Cupcake, I know you'll be doing your best for her, I don't doubt that for a second.

I had a quad of boys earlier this year so I don't see why you couldn't have three boys & 1 girl. Obviously you'll know the potential risks of bonding pairs into larger groups so I won't go on about it.

You know your bunnies best so I'd go with you instincts.

I have a cheek offering bonding advice as I am a coward.. but in your position , if I had the bottle, I'd go for it.. It would be lovely if it all worked out..:love:

Really sorry to hear about Cupcake.

I would also be tempted to go for the bond. I have only ever done one (the quad) as you may remember. It was very quickly clear that Mottle and Peaches did not want to join in and make a group of six.

I am sure you will know your rabbits well enough to read their body language during bonding. Good luck.

Back