• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit losing hair - ringworm/ mites??

Lindsey83

New Kit
Hi, I'm new to this forum but I'm hoping someone can offer me some advice.

I recently got a rabbit 5 weeks ago, he is called floyd and is a dwarf lop.

Within the first week I noticed he had a bald spot on one of his ears, it started to get bigger so I took him to the vet to get checked out. The vet thought it was mites so gave me xeno 450 spot on to give him every fortnight (3 treatments). After the second treatment I saw no improvement so as I'm new to the bunny world I thought it was best to take him back to the vet just to make sure he was ok. The vet has now said Floyd has ringworm and gave me Surolan drops to rub on the affect areas on his ear (it is now on the other ear as well). I've done this for 5 days but it looks worse now. The bald areas look really red and sore and tonight I noticed a bald spot above his eye.

I haven't noticed anything else wrong with him. He's eating, pooping and playing as normal.

Any advice on what I should do would be really appreciated. I have another vets appointment next Friday but I think I should take him back before then as it is worrying me.

Thanks
Lindsey

Hello

I would take your Rabbit back to the Vet today. Perhaps it is not ringworm or if it is maybe Floyd is having a poor reaction to Surolan. There are some images of a Rabbit with ringworm on here

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/FungalAlgal/ringworm.htm

I hope the Vet warned you that ringworm is potentially zoonotic, so humans could be at risk if they are immuno-suppressed for any reason or have a tendency toward allergic skin conditions such as eczema.

The other possibility might be Harvest Mites ('Chiggers')

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/chiggers.htm

Good Luck

Thank you for replying.

I've had Floyd back at the vet today. They have taken a sample which will be sent away to be tested just to make sure of what it is. I've to carry on with the treatment in the mean time.

Hopefully it will start to heal.

Thanks again

One of my buns started to lose fur on her tummy and as we had not seen her pulling at it she was treated for mites to be on the safe side (we could not see anything suspicious). She was given panomec injections (twice) and it seemed to clear up the problem.

The tests should hopefully bring some answers so you can continue/adapt treatment accordingly.

Thanks. His ear doesn't seem to be as red, so hopefully that's it starting to heal. It's making a lot easier to rub the drops on much easier.

Back