• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nest

xnaomix

Warren Scout
The baby rabbits are 16days old now but their nest is right next to the door and they got rained on last night as I'm waiting for my hutch cover to arrive still!! Do you think it'd be ok to move the nest further back?

The baby rabbits are 16days old now but their nest is right next to the door and they got rained on last night as I'm waiting for my hutch cover to arrive still!! Do you think it'd be ok to move the nest further back?

You need to remove all the soiled wet nest. Remove the Doe from the hutch whilst you do this and provide lots of clean dry soft straw (warmer than hay) to create a new nest. Put some soft hay in the nest too.

Then you need to make some sort of improvised waterproof covering for the hutch until the new hutch cover arrives. If the kits keep getting wet and have no-where to stay dry they will become ill.

Ok thanks il sort it as soon as little ones asleep, shall I keep abit of the old nest so it smells the same do you think?

I would remove all damp bedding, so if that means all the bedding then this will be ok. The little ones will start to venture out soon!

I would guess at 16 days they are beginning to venture out a bit? It's find to remove any soiled material and replace with some fresh hay at this stage as they'll be eating the hay too :) You could cable tie a bit of board or similar over the mesh there to give them some more protection.

Back