• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please?

Shayne_

Warren Scout
Ok soo..... Darcie went to rainbow bridge today which has left me in a confused mess with what to do for Loona.. (9yr old Lop) .. Shes docile and friendly and takes to any animal.. Even our chihuahua polo! Leaving her to be alone is horrible.. I keep looking at her and thinking the poor lil thing, i dont like it atall and im so worried she will go down hill due to loneliness. So ive been looking at senior bunnies and found one in Manchester, 5(sih) yr old gent looking for a old lady friend.. An im torn with decisions and thoughts... Its not all my decision, its my partners too. (She holds the cards lol) But i dont know whats best.. To try bond her with a friend or leave her alone.. Then i wonder.. What if she passes soon and then i have the new bun alone and without a friend.. Will i need to go through this again? I cant take on two bunnies as dont have the space for that indoors, only outside (We have the biggest double hutch we could find and only 5 months old) But indoors its a normal nero left open and free range unless out then the whole kitchen.. But i cant have 2 more as if i need to shut them up the cage is too small and no room to put a big one. Hence just two buns in the household. So torn.. Any ideas, advice, opinions please and very welcome

She just looks so lonely right now laying by the door opposite me...

1975214_657745001011784_8465118677279891965_n.jpg

Last edited:
Aw bless her. I am sorry you lost Darcie. I don't really know what to suggest as never been in that situation. If you went for a 5 year old say and then Loona didn't last too long would it be a problem to then find another partner for the new bun? I suppose the only issue is that the new bun could potentially be bereaved quite soon. I am being rather useless, sorry! Just didn't want to read and run....

I don't have enough experience to advise, but I wanted to send condolences.

Binky free Darcie.

Xx

If I was in your situation, I would bond her to another rabbit, as long as she's healthy to cope with the stress of bonding. She may have another year or two so personally, as she seems such a social rabbit, I would want to try a bond with another rabbit.

Aw bless her.

Yes I worry about the bunny cycle sometimes too, but really it's only a problem if there ever comes a time when we can't have bunnies - otherwise we'll always be able to get the remaining bun a new friend. Is that going to be difficult for you? If not, then I would say go for it - you'll be giving some poor bunny a lovely new life.

Oh the sweet girl... She really does look like she's mourning :(
I really feel for her - and of course for you. I lost my beloved girl today.
I haven't been in this situation before either, so I'm afraid I don't have any personal experience to share.
What I might suggest is not to rush it. It may really help her to have a new companion, but perhaps give her just a little time to grieve first? Then when you're both ready perhaps take her to the rescue and see if they've got any rabbits that they think might suit her as a companion. If she is depressed, it absolutely might help her to have a new companion, but unfortunately there is likely to be a situation ultimately where one will end up alone.
What I would personally do it give yourselves both just a little time to grieve first. Then see how you feel, perhaps in a few days.
Give Loona lots of extra attention and make her feel really loved. And give her a stroke and a kiss on the head for me.
Today I really feel both your pain :cry:

Thank you everyone for the advice and thoughts :)

Ive spoken to my partner and weve decided to email the rspca to see if the old gent is still available and then if so, see if we are suitable and a match.. If not, its not meant to happen. I dont want to rush into things, but then i dont want Loona to get used to living alone either incase that affects her ability to bond with a new bun. Health wise apart from a few minor old bun ailments she is doing great, i dont want her to leave this life miserable without at least trying to set her up a friend. We have everything we need for another bun, we could even keep them seperate a while without much bother at all as i have the housing and space outside for him until they are settled.. I suppose we may end up getting him if suitable/still available but right now im going on hope more than settiing my heart on it. Fingers crossed. Either way she is being spoilt rotten as ever.. Ive bought her a new matt/bed for her second favourite kitchen spot and enough treats ive been told not to litter the floor by the Missus. Lol In my head i just know.. We will never be a household without bunnies so the future will be bunny filled. Just hopefully not a single lonely bunny.

I'm so sorry for yours and Loonas loss.

I would definately look to get her a companion because I would worry that the grief of her being on her own may actually contribute to her passing.

My oldest bun lived to 12yrs and 5 months, and rabbits seem so complex and sensitive even if a 5yr old isn't guaranteed to outlive her. Look at all those much younger who suddenly fall ill and leave for the bridge :(

I don't think rabbits need grieving time, as if they are used to company and then by themselves and also a senior bun, I would worry that her will to live might start to decline. Really hope it works out with the bun you have in mind.

Will you let us know please?

Of course i will let you know, ill probably be postiing like crazy about it :)

I just have this gut wrenching feeling she needs to be with another.. Her previous owner kept her locked up in a wire cage, with 4 inches of old shavings all piled up as a floor in a windowless locked shed. Alone. For years.. I just feel so sad and sickly seeing her alone again. I know she isnt.. But in my mind shes spent all this time with a best friend and now hes gone.

Even Polo our chihuahua seems to know, i know they are bonded but i never really realise how much since the species differance! Strange!!

1901129_657825677670383_8914453606503689220_n.jpg

That's him! Fingers crossed he is. Worried he's quite far away though, I used to volunteer at the centre when I was about 15/16 as lived not far from it but it live up along the coast bear Blackpool now. I can't find any other bun that seems suitable though or even half as cute! He has a chuchi lil face Lol

Hes reserved, gone subject to home check :(

but :) yay for him getting a home! Ive given my number incase any Elderbunnies come in for them to ring. Search shall carry on!

Oh he is really sweet looking! ill show him my partner when shes home from work tonight, im not sure if too far .. Im not the one who would be driving so not my decision to make (Although im good at pestering) ive seen another down in Middlesex ( http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=24285 ) which is very far but.. Only ten minutes drive from her parents house! So that could be swung in favour since shes going down soon before xmas to visit anyway..

All 3 are so handsome...

bugs%20bunny.gif

Fingers crossed and search is still active!

She is such a gorgeous girl and really deserves another friend to enjoy her later years with. Fingers crossed somebun comes up soon x

You know what, on seeing those new pictures and realizing just how sad and lonely she is, I think I withdraw my previous post.
I think she definitely needs a new companion as soon as possible.
Such a shame about Harry! I was just about to say he sounds like the perfect companion for her! But glad that it sounds like he's got a home. From the story on his page, it sounds like the poor boy deserves a good home. I would keep in touch with them though, the home check might not pass and he might become available again.
Butch however looks very promising! Two very lonely rabbits... Could make for a very good match.

She seems so lonely today, i could just be reading into it too much but shes barely been out the toilet cage under the kitchen table.. Just sitting in there really. I tried to tempt her out but she didnt want to so tried again and ushered her outside to the lawn. Shes having a munch now.. Unlike her she is normally on the doormat, munching grass lawn or snoozing on the decking.. Her fav spots of all time

Sigh..

Ive given my number to them to contact incase it falls through or they have any Elderly Gents come in but.. I guess im so gutted im lacking hope. Butch looks like a great match but i dont know if its possible due to distance. My partner wont be home until midnight (Runs a Pub) so i wont know what she thinks untill weve discussed the options. I like Jack too but there isnt much information on him, i think ill write an email now and ask for more. Wish they were closer!

it might be worth contacting rescues even if they haven't got any older rabbits showing up, I know they are often so busy they don't have time to keep their websites etc up to date, plus, if they know your requirements when somebunny suitable comes in they can get in touch with you. I know that BARC (barnsley animal rescue) and Macclesfield RSPCA always have lots of rabbits in, they rehome nationally, and I can personally recommend both of those rescues too :thumb:

Back