PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma - Fiver booked in for Dental tomorrow



Vegan_Bunny
13-10-2014, 03:36 PM
When I woke up this morning Shadowfax was sat hunched up in her basket looking very sorry for herself. I knew immediately she was poorly and tried to offer her food but she would have none of it. I gave her pain relief and put she hopped off into the litter tray where she picked at the hay but didn't eat it. I picked some forage and tried to get her to eat that but to no avail. About half an hour later I checked on her and she looked much, much better. She is now "fine" and eating pellets, hay and anything else, albeit a bit slower than usual.

She's been "off" for a few weeks. Not binkying about and being a little quiet. She went to the vet for an ivermec jab and I asked the vet to give her a good check over. She is fine but the vet said if she doesn't improve that she may need a dental (she's been on the cusp of needing one for a while).

Fiver is booked in on Wed at a different vet for a dental. I chose to go to a different vet because it is closer, although more expensive. Now, my question is do I book them both in on the same day for a dental? Or get Fiver's done and see how Shadowfax goes? If I book them both in, I'll have to use my old vets because they are cheaper and I can't really afford to pay out 140 in one day. Both vets are good, it's literally just a matter of distance and money.

On the other hand, Shadowfax stopped eating at almost the exact same time of year last year. She had already had a dental so it wasn't her teeth. Is this just coincidence or is it something about this time of year? The last time she stopped eating she started again on her own...then the week after she went into full blown stasis and it took her weeks to recover. :cry:

Tamsin
13-10-2014, 05:07 PM
Hmmm that is a tough one. I think if possible I'd avoid two having ops on the same day, just on the grounds that they might need some extra nursing and it's easier if you aren't trying to do two at once. Obviously if she needs it then go ahead but otherwise at least a few days apart might work out easier. On the other hand if you are taking two bunnies at once that's less travelling back and forth.

It would be much easier if they had a little warning light for dentals, that way you know exactly when and you aren't trying to guess if it's dental or another issue.

Vegan_Bunny
13-10-2014, 07:56 PM
Hmmm that is a tough one. I think if possible I'd avoid two having ops on the same day, just on the grounds that they might need some extra nursing and it's easier if you aren't trying to do two at once. Obviously if she needs it then go ahead but otherwise at least a few days apart might work out easier. On the other hand if you are taking two bunnies at once that's less travelling back and forth.

It would be much easier if they had a little warning light for dentals, that way you know exactly when and you aren't trying to guess if it's dental or another issue.

I know. :( I also don't know who needs it most. Fiver is drooling but is eating fine. When he drooled last time it was because he had a little ulcer starting. :( But I'm worried that once this metacam wears off, Shadowfax might stop eating again. Ah!!

Vegan_Bunny
14-10-2014, 06:03 PM
I've decided to keep the appointment so he's going in tomorrow. If I cancel it will probably take me another week to pluck up the courage to book him in. :cry: Vibes would be nice. He is 7 now and I worry every time he has a dental. :cry:

Den
14-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Vibes for Fiver for tomorrow. Hope it goes smoothly.

And vibes for Shadowfax to keep nomming.:love:

Tamsin
14-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Aww, hope it goes smoothly :)

Vegan_Bunny
15-10-2014, 01:31 PM
For those that care. He is ok.

aaammmyyy
15-10-2014, 01:36 PM
Glad he is okay Xx

Roly Poly
15-10-2014, 01:37 PM
Good news, you must be so relieved :D

How's Shadowfax doing? xx

MimzMum
15-10-2014, 07:05 PM
I'm just seeing this now VB. I'm so glad Fiver is okay. :love: I know what you mean regarding dentals, especially multiple ones. I just had all three of mine done at once back in August. (Their vet's last available appointment before returning to university.) Mimzy also had a lumpectomy for a fatty tumor on his shoulder that he's still having a time healing up from. They are such a worry aren't they?

I hope Shadowfax is improving. Thinking of you and sending vibes. xxxx

Vegan_Bunny
15-10-2014, 07:31 PM
Thank you. I've been out of my mind with worry all day and he's not hopping about like nothing's happened. :roll: He's had a handful of forage and had a chomp of hay. Shadowfax was grooming him when he went over to her. :love:

Shadowfax is back to her usual self. :shock: I was sure it was dental related (especially because she's been "off" for so long) but this morning she was binkying around like a moron again and has been a complete food demon. :?
Hoping she will be ok for now, but if she goes off her food again or shows any sign of problems she'll be getting booked in, too.

The vets I just used for Fiver were excellent. The vet who does his acupuncture did his dental and everybody was so nice and patient with me. I asked them not to give him vetergesic and the vet said straight away that she doesn't like it either and never uses it. :thumb: I would only ever request it if a bun had a major injury like a broken leg or some serious health problem. I may have to use them for GA's in the future.