• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think my girl is dying :'( - Updated: My girl has gone to sleep

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
I think my baby is dying :'(
She's 11yrs old and suddenly lost the use of her back legs a little over a week ago. I know she should have gone straight to a vet, but I've been scared to take her for fear of what they might do. Another rabbit I read about online has the same symtoms, and the owner said it was EC so I've been giving her Panacur for a week as I brought home two new kits days before she got ill (though they themselves seem fine). I decided if that didn't work I would take her to a vet at the end of the week. While she had off days, she was also extremely bright on others and has up until yesterday been normal aside from seemingly not being able to use her back legs. She has been eating absolutely fine. Please understand, though I know I made the wrong decision not taking her to a vet straight away, I was scared of what they would do. Money is also an issue at the moment, but mainly it was my own fear that stopped me. I know I have done wrong.
She has pretty long nails as it hurts her if I hold her the way I normally do to trim them, so I've been trimming them very gradually. It didn't help that I cut her quick the other day.
On top of that due to the way she has been sitting the past few days she has worn through some of the fur on her back legs. I was planning to give her a bath tomorrow (as she is getting in a bit of a mess underneath due to not being able to clean herself) and then bandage them to stop her wearing through the skin. But all these thing make it look like I've neglected her. And that added to my fear as I thought they would force me the euthanize her or take her away from me. I know how I've described her sounds bad, but I know her and I honestly didn't think she was ready. She's a fighter, and I wanted to give her the chance to fight.
Yesterday however she was pretty quiet, and a little off of her food (not entirely, just didn't eat as much as usual), and tonight she's suddenly gone downhill. I gave her water by syringe earlier as she couldn't drink it from the bowl. At the moment she's refusing food and water, even by syringe.
I had decided earlier to get her straight to a vet tomorow, but I'm really scared she's not going the last the night.
I think she may also have dislocated/broken her front leg as she's holding it at an extremely unnatural angle tucked underneath her (kind of like a horse would fold it's front legs, except it's straight and not bent). I don't know how she could have, but I know she had some trouble with the same leg about a year ago.
I'm wondering if it's the pain from that that has sent her downhill? Maybe stasis? I have tried rubbing her gently as that was how I brought her out of stasis several times when she had it many years ago, but I don't know. Doesn't seem to be that.
She seems uncomfortable - which she would if there's something wrong with her front leg -, she's keeping her head down and her eyes are semi closed most of the time.
I know this all sounds bad, and believe me right now I feel like the cruelest person in the world.
My parents are currently divorcing and I'm going through so much at the moment. I feel like this is my fault as I haven't given her 100% of my attention.
She's my whole world. She's been with me for literally over half of my life. I love her more than words can say - there's nothing I wouldn't do for her.
But now I feel like I'm the one that's done this to her. I should have taken her straight to a vet.

If I can get her through the night I will call for an appointment in the morning. But in the meantime, is there anything I can give her to ease her pain?
I have asprin, nurofen, nurofen plus (ibuprofen with codeine) - I don't know what else. Are there any drugs that would be safe to give her just a tiny tiny amount of? I don't have anything rabbit specific as I couldn't get hold of anything without a prescription. I've been giving her Oxbow Joint Support with turmeric and glucosomine. She also has willow sticks.
Is there anything I can do to relieve her pain?
Should I just keep trying the syringe with water? Or is there something else I can try to encourage her to drink?

Edit:
Another thing I've noticed is that she's mostly turning her head to the right. Could that mean anything?

Last edited:
It's tough because no matter how long you have had them it never seems like enough. The vet will recommend euthanisa if they feel that she is suffering, but it's a decision you should come to together with the advice of the vet and it doesn't have to happen then and there. They might be able to give her painkillers, for example, to make her comfortable and you can have time to think about it.

Many things can cause hindleg problems like you are describing, it could be EC but with age it's just as possible it's arthritis. A painkiller like metacam would be the most common choice. I don't know whether any human ones would be safe. You could call your vet - there should be a contact number even out of hours - and ask them about options - they might be able to give you a dose or prepare something for you to pick up. I think that's probably the best way forward. Vets know how attached we get so they should understand and help you through choices. They also know that elderly animals can look quite scruffy and it doesn't mean their owners are bad, don't be embarrassed about that.

Tasmin, thank you so much for your reply. I was expecting a lot of hate for not getting her to a vet sooner. You don't know how comforting your comment has been.
I feel like I've let her down so badly.
I can't stand to think of her in pain. It hurts to see her suffer.
If the vet really feels there's no alternative I will let her go. It will be the hardest thing I'll ever do, but I won't put myself before her. But if there's anything that can be done to keep her out of pain, even if only for a few days or weeks, I'm not giving up on her. At the end of it all I'll let her decide when it's time and will support her when it comes.
I don't think I've ever been so scared :cry:

I think a lot of our members have been where you are, so can understand how tough it is working out when is the right time to let them go. I think you'll feel a lot better once you've spoken to the vet and worked out what options there are. If you do spend sometime nursing her they are a great source of support and they'll be able to give you the tools to help with making her as comfortable as possible.

Do let me (and the rest of us) know how you get on with the vet :)

Thank you Tamsin. I will.
I've managed to get her to have a little water. I've also tried mixing up a paste with her pellets and some warm water, but she only took a very small amount of that - and very reluctantly.
She doesn't seem to be in as much pain now. I think she's tired, but has actually improved a little. I'm being careful about hope though as I remember one of my degu's doing the same thing. She was dead by morning :(
Trying to comfort my other two as well now as it's very gusty outside and they're not keen on the sound.. Going to be a long night. Guess it's a good thing I'm out of a job at the moment after all.
I'm sorry if I got a little over the top with my previous posts. I just feel like I've let her down so badly by letting other pressures get to me and not devoting myself to her care. I have done the best I could to look after her in every other way. I just should have taken her to a vet sooner.
Thank you for being so kind with me. It's far more than I deserve.

Is there any way you can visit the vets tonight? All of those human painkillers would likely be inappropriate, and I don't think any vet or anyone on a forum would advise you to use them; but she really needs painkillers. By the time rabbits exhibit visible signs of pain they are in quite a lot of pain, as they hide their feelings very well due to being prey animals.

When you call the vets in the morning be sure to tell them it's an absolute emergency and she needs to be seen first thing - it's absolutely not okay that they see her in the afternoon or evening, she needs immediate veterinary care. I would go as far as to be waiting for them when they open the doors to be honest. If she's not eating she's very likely to be in pain, and it is very unfair to let her suffer any longer. I won't say anything about leaving her without veterinary treatment for all this time as whats done is done and frankly it's way too distressing to dwell on, but you owe her adequate painkillers for the rest of her life now.

If she unfortunately does need to be put to sleep now or soon it is imperative that she has veterinary treatment ASAP to make her last hours/days more comfortable. I would also recommend having her put to sleep at the vets rather than bringing her home to die 'naturally' - it is far kinder for her to drift off into unconsciousness than to linger for a while in pain, discomfort and distress. I think she more than deserves a peaceful passing.

Sweetheart, please don't feel bad about this, it's clear you're doing the best you can and that you love her dearly. I'm sure she knows this, too! I'm glad you got some food into her.

I'll be thinking of you both and will check back tomorrow for an update. Best wishes.

Laura416:
Thank you so, that is very kind of you. You don't know how comforting it was to read that.

yaretzi:
I know rabbits hide things. Even now she is hiding it well. The only way I know is because I know her so well. We've been together for the past 11yrs.
I wouldn't have normally thought of the human painkillers, but I had to ask as I really wanted to ease her pain overnight. There's no way for me to get to a vet tonight. Believe me, I wish there was.
I have made a mistake by not getting her to a vet sooner, yes. I acknowledge that and I realize the gravity of it. Believe me.
Regardless of how it sounds, I really do love her and I would give my life for hers in a heartbeat. I have given her everything I can give her through her life and have cared for her through any illness she may have had, losing sleep many nights with her. I have gone through a lot lately with my parents splitting up, family loss, having no job. I am also a carer for my disabled brother and for my very ill Mum. All of these things are a huge pressure. It has caused a lapse of judgement. It's no excuse. But it is a reason.
I would do anything for her and yes, if that means I have to let her go, I will do that for her, even though it will break me. But I also know her. She's a stubborn little fighter and if she can have a few more days or weeks pain free, I honestly believe she would want them. If she feels otherwise, I will know and will go along with her.
I will not let her suffer.

She has picked up a little in the past half hour or so. Still not keen on the idea of food or water, but is drinking a little know. I'm starting to wonder if she in fact has GI Stasis as thinking back on it the symptoms are similar. Possibly brought on by hurting her front leg? I'm wondering if she's fallen on it and sprained it or something.
At any rate, hopefully I'll be able to find out in a few hours.

Thank you both for your answers.

Edit:
Just a thought. I'm assuming they'll want to xray her to see whats going on with her legs. Will she have to be put under for that? I'm just worried she won't make it under the anaesthetic.
Anything I should ask the vet or be prepared for? I've never been to her before, though she's supposed to 'have an enthusiasm' for rabbits. I'm hoping that means she's well experienced with them.

Last edited:
They may well be able to do an xray whilst conscious as her mobility is limited.

Stasis is often a secondary symptom, pain or stress can trigger it so the vet might treat for stasis whilst they investigate the underlying issue with her legs. It really just depends, I expect you'll have a lot more answers and options once the vets examined her.

As yaretzi said do make it clear to them she needs seeing straight away, most vets will be good about squeezing you under the circumstances.

Tamsin: Yes, that's what I'm wondering - if the pain of the leg might have triggered stasis. It didn't occur to me straight away, though in the back of my mind I did wonder about stasis.
I was worried about bloat too but she looks and feels okay underneath. She's soft, not hard. She eats loads of hay and gets veggies in the evening. I only re-introduced pellets a year or so ago to help her keep her weight up, and she only gets a very small handful.
She's improved a bit and is occasionally having water by syringe.
The vet opens in about 3 1/2hrs so not too long to go. I will call as soon as they open and see if they can get her in early. I will tell them it's an emergency.
Upon looking them up again it turns out one specializes in small animals, so that's reassuring.
If the worst comes to the worst I will call the backup vet I selected instead. I'd rather she got seen as early as possible.
I will try to post and update tomorrow evening, but if things don't go so well I don't know how I'll react so may be a little delayed.
I'm just keeping her warm and staying up with her at the moment to offer water and monitor her. I've put her in her carrier (without the lid) and built a sort of fort out of towels to support her. It seems to be helping.

Last edited:
As Tamsin said, they may be able to do a conscious x-ray but it depends if she starts wriggling around once you're at the vets. They may be able to rule out certain things based on a physical exam without an x-ray too. I would think they would be hesitant to put her under anaesthetic unless they felt it absolutely necessary given her age, the fact that she won't have any painkillers in her at the time and the fact that she's not been eating/drinking properly as all of these can affect how she fares under anaesthesia and her recovery afterwards.

It is probably good that you've been encouraging her to eat and drink, although if she does have a digestive obstruction it could cause massive problems. Has she been pooing and weeing, and are both outputs normal in colour, size and consistency? In regards to your other threads was any cause for the suspected blood in the urine ever found, and did the vet ever find out what the mammary lumps were likely to be? I can't think of any direct links between the different problems but I'm no vet. Is it the same vets practice you're seeing, so they'll have all the notes in case its relevant?

I hope it's something which is able to be fixed for you and her. The most important thing is that she gets painkillers, diagnostics, and any supporting therapies like subcutaneous fluids if she's dehydrated. Fingers crossed for you both.

EDIT: The carrier idea seems like a good one, as well as supporting her with the towels. That's what a lot of people with head tilt bunnies do... it seems to help the bunny relax as it feels supported and secure. Just make sure she has food and water within reach of course, in case she wants it.

As Tamsin said, they may be able to do a conscious x-ray but it depends if she starts wriggling around once you're at the vets. They may be able to rule out certain things based on a physical exam without an x-ray too. I would think they would be hesitant to put her under anaesthetic unless they felt it absolutely necessary given her age, the fact that she won't have any painkillers in her at the time and the fact that she's not been eating/drinking properly as all of these can affect how she fares under anaesthesia and her recovery afterwards.

It is probably good that you've been encouraging her to eat and drink, although if she does have a digestive obstruction it could cause massive problems. Has she been pooing and weeing, and are both outputs normal in colour, size and consistency? In regards to your other threads was any cause for the suspected blood in the urine ever found, and did the vet ever find out what the mammary lumps were likely to be? I can't think of any direct links between the different problems but I'm no vet. Is it the same vets practice you're seeing, so they'll have all the notes in case its relevant?

I hope it's something which is able to be fixed for you and her. The most important thing is that she gets painkillers, diagnostics, and any supporting therapies like subcutaneous fluids if she's dehydrated. Fingers crossed for you both.

EDIT: The carrier idea seems like a good one, as well as supporting her with the towels. That's what a lot of people with head tilt bunnies do... it seems to help the bunny relax as it feels supported and secure. Just make sure she has food and water within reach of course, in case she wants it.

Firstly I would like to say please don't be too hard on yourself, yes she should have gone to the vet sooner and you know that there is no use in constantly upsetting yourself about something you can not change.

Your bunny has done amazingly to arrive at 11 years old and thats down to you! You obviously take great care of her and it's obvious you love her very much and I am sure she feels the same.
If I were in your position I am not lying I would be terrified, just the thought of loosing Jims is way too much to bare, I honestly don't think I would survive so my heart goes out to you.
if you need a shoulder don't hesitate to pm me.

My baby's gone to sleep.
The vet said nothing was broken but thought she had nerve damage, and possibly liver or kidney trouble. I explored every alternative with her, but she gently told me she thought she would suffer, and that this would be the best thing for her.
I decided I had to put her before myself.
That was the hardest thing I've ever gone through. We had a connection that just can't be explained. She was my whole world.
I appreciate everyone's answers last night.
I think I'm in shock. It was such an awful thing to see, yet it doesn't quite seem real. I'm expecting to see her again, and there's just an empty cage.
Sleep peacefully my dear, sweet baby girl.

I'm so sorry that was the outcome, it was very brave of you to make the right decision for her. I'm glad you were able to discuss things with the vet even if the answers weren't good news.

I am so sorry :cry: You gave your baby the final gift we can - a painfree and peaceful passing knowing they were loved so much.

Back