• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Skinny Rabbit

hayzel

New Kit
My rabbit has become increasingly thin and refuses to eat pellets and hay. She will eat lettuce and grass and that is it. She still drinks water.
I've tried three different rabbit pellets, she'll take none of it. I'm starting to get really worried.
This has only been going on for a few days.
My rabbit is only three to four years old and has perfect health in the past.
Any help? Suggestions for diets?
-Hayzel's worried owner

I would take her to the vets - any sudden change like that is cause for concern and worth getting checked out.

There should always be an emergency vet open for out of hours care and holidays, a gut slowdown is very, very serious for a rabbit, she could be in pain needing a dental also.

My rabbit has become increasingly thin and refuses to eat pellets and hay. She will eat lettuce and grass and that is it. She still drinks water.
I've tried three different rabbit pellets, she'll take none of it. I'm starting to get really worried.
-Hayzel's worried owner

If she normally has a good appetite and is refusing to eat hay there may well be an underlying dental issue, apart from any other underlying health or kidney problem (which can cause lack of appetite)

If she doesn't see a vet in the near future you may find she develops a problem with gastric stasis, where she refuses to eat as gas builds up inside her abdomen. This is then very serious and life threatening for her.

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

She needs to see a vet ASAP. Your rabbit is seriously ill and needs treatment. Ring your vets and they should have a number for out of hours. I can't imagine U.S vets being that much different from ours.

The change in habits sound very much like a teeth problem. Rabbit's teeth grow continually and if they don't line up just right to wear against each other then can overgrow and create long spikes that cut into the mouth/tongue. As you can imagine that's quite painful so rabbits often stop eating hard foods like pellets.

The vet will look in the back of her mouth with a scope and if that is the issue can file down the teeth and remove the spikes.

She does need to see a vet as soon as possible, as not eating enough can also make a rabbits gut stop working and that's very serious (sometimes fatal).

I would try to give her soft foods so she eats as much as possible, so try softening her usual pellets with some water. Try other fresh plants like herbs and dandelion. As much grass as she'll eat as that's good like hay. You could also try rolled oats (porridge oats) mixed with a bit of water - they will help keep weight on.

The diet changes will only help in the very short term though - they won't solve the issue.

-Hayzel's worried owner

How's your rabbit doing today?

Back