• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch Sleeping area, how can I make it more cosy?

hedgepig

Young Bun
I have a Welfare Hutch 6ft hutch, the sleeping area is huge I could put a whole bag of straw in it. For the winter would it be a good idea to put a smaller sleeping area in it? I have 2 eight month old rabbits.

The sleeping area in Doris and Pepper's hutch was huge too, we chopped it about a bit and made it half the height, so they have an extra level and a cosier bedroom.

:thumb: can they still get in it with all that straw :lol: excellent :D

Maybe a nice thick blanket underneath but they might pee on it;) like mine do :roll:

If there are two and they snuggle they will keep each other warm, still some growing to do tho :D depending on breed :)

Is the outside of the hutch insulated I.e hutch hugger or cover maybe keep the draft out they will,be fine if they have been out since summer and have their full winter coat or there abouts, (don't clean the fluff from the inside of the hutch) this is their own insulation:D

wwe only got them last week, they were kept outdoors at the rescue so I assume they have winter coats (how do you tell?). The hutch is inside an aviary under a open sided barn so it's dry and out of the wind but I haven't put anything else over the hutch.

If they were outside then they will have their winter coat on if you were told they can go outside:D

If you saw their housing at rescue and yours is as good or better, sounds nice under cover :D and out of the wind :D

Not sure where you are, maybe a pic of set up would be nice :D

I'm really struggling with this photo bucket malarkey, I hope this works . This is the set up, there are more things in the aviary now to hide in and climb on. The end door is let open do they have 24hr access to the outside space

That looks great :D and covered :D

I would leave as is just keep an eye on the snow or very cold weather if we get some :)

If the snow gets in move the setup back out of the worst of it if possible or maybe just a cover over the front long side of the avery if it gets very bad to keep the wind out ;) other than that they have their own fur coat and are well equipt for most weather types:thumb:

thanks that's a big help, . I've been reading all these things about bringing bunnies in for the winter etc and was concerned I was missing something because as you say they do have for coats :D

That looks great! It's been down to 3-4° here in Nottingham a few nights but Lopsy's not even been nesting yet, so they're pretty good with low temperatures. Like previous poster said, just watch out for blown-in precipitation :)

Ooo I recognise this from the rabbit residence instagram :)

I wonder if you could put a hideout in the bedroom area? somewhere to go if they really are cold? even a cardboard box hideout (you can remove the base so that they don't pee all over it!) might provide somewhere more cosy to sit, and you can stuff that one with straw :)

The winter before last when we had snow it got as low as -10 deg in my rabbit shed. At the time I had two rabbits.

Theres a hutch in the shed and I put a cardboard box in the bedroom end with one side removed so they could get in and out then filled it with straw.

they spend most of the winter laid together in the litter tray that's in the shed:evil: and not in the lovely cosy bedroom I had made, but that's bunnies:lol:

I think your set up looks great, I have bunny set up envy:lol:

A cardboard box could be the answer, I will have to order more bunny stuff to get a good one:D

I didn't know Rabbit Residence had an instagram, I'll have to go find it :thumb:

I convert all my bedrooms into a 2-level area because rabbits love to jump up on the shelf. For cosiness I have big underbed storage boxes as litter trays, filled with hay on top of paper. :) This encourages the rabbits to be litter trained.

That's a lovely set up!

Back