• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How i get my rabbit ready for winter

Love_4Paws

New Kit
Okay so this is how i get my rabbit ready for winter:
  • Put more hay and straw in the hutch
  • Buy museli and add a egg cup full to pellets

Okay, so i know that muesli is bad for your rabbits and fattening. I only use it in October,November,December and January if it's still really cold. I do this to fatten him up so that he will stay warm in the colder days. As rabbits use more energy in the winter months they get skinnier so this was my solution.

Please no hate, it works and i promise you i still check his v=weight to make sure he doesn't go overweight. I feed him 2 eggcup fuels of Excel pellets and a handful of fresh hay/grass a day. He is well looked after.:roll:

I am unable to bring my rabbit indoors
I put a blanket and tar paling over the top to stop drafts and keep it insulated.

Comment on what you do to help your rabbit in winter

Hi :wave:

Yes more warm straw to sleep in and hey for the munching on :thumb:

Good quality tarp a definite and the blanket to keep out the draft :thumb:

Not sure about feeding muesli but if it works for you why not although if they get too much of a taste they might not eat the pellets after winter or give them funny tummy but if you ease it in and out should be ok I suppose but I might just up their normal pellets for the winter months but I don't ink this is necessary ;)

I had a single bun outside 2012 and as he had his outdoor winter snow coat on he was fine even enjoyed playing in the snow :roll: and was very well insulated and with blanket over the run to protect from too much snow although I had a fitted hutch hugger :D

Don't know what type of hutch you have so when feeding just try to keep the doors open for the minimum time and keep in any heat that has made up :thumb: you don't want to let in a sudden icy wind when you need to open the door to feed him:) he will not thank you for letting all his heat out :lol:

What temperature is ok for rabbits in winter? My leah lives in the pantry, but its not heated. Its always a few degrees warmer than the outside temp. So what is the best or lowest temp for her until I start heating the pantry with a heater?

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

Unless you need to heat the pantry then I would leave it at the temp it gets as long as you out plenty of straw for bedding and its a cozy space then all should be fine :D if they have access to outside under there own choosing let them :?

If you heat it you need to then keep the temperature the same until late spring when the weather gets better :) and can't let them outside as it will be too cold:?

I really don't do any different during the winter. I used to give them more food but by Spring they have put on a bit of weight and you can't get it off so easily.. My rabbits keep a constant weight all year round.

I think your rabbit will enjoy a little bit of Muesli - is he on his own?

Back