• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Apt. living - Bug Spray concerns for my bunny

Laura416

Warren Scout
Hi there!!

Haven't posted in so long, hope all bunnies are doing well! Parents, too :)

My lop, Mimi, has been raised in my carpeted house for 7 years, and I'm now considering moving to an apt. The last one I lived in, that I hope to return to, does bug sprays throughout the building sometimes - have any of you dealt w/ this? What should I do in this case, take her out in her carrier for a few hrs? Would the scent affect her once we're back inside? Very nervous about this...

Thanks for any tips and advice, and happy Halloween from both :)

thumb.asp

It's not that common a thing to have done in the UK so I think you might have us a bit stumped. Do they advise people/children/babies leaving while it happens - if so I'd definitely remove her as you suggest.

Perhaps the House Rabbit Society would have some advice on it: http://rabbit.org/

I'm not sure what the bug spray would entail but when I had to have my house flea treated they recommended that all pets and children not re-enter the property for 24 hours. I had to have Otto in the shed for a night, so I don't know how feasible that would be for you?
Of course the spray might be completely different to a flea treatment so it might be worth speaking to the apartment manager about who carries out the treatment and speaking to the company directly as they would be able to advise you.

Thanks Zoobec for the bump, and to all for replies!

Oh my, leaving for 24 hrs? I just remember we (then pet-less) would leave for a few hrs, and there was definitely the scent of it (fairly strong) upon return... I will ask the super who gave the "okay" to have a rabbit. I'm such a cynic, I only hope his response would be honest... Maybe I should consult the vet.

Many thanks!! xx

Back