• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Samantha - Back from Vets

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
Samantha my NZW is not herself. Both her eyes are running, started today, could it be a reaction to the vacc? She had it on the 20th September. She has never been ill before. I am going to the Vets tomorrow at 8.30 with Roger for neutering so I will try to get her into the pet carrier. She usually resists but I will have to grab her!

The Vet doesn't think it is anything to worry about, just a little "cold" in her eye. She checked her teeth which seem fine, her genitals seem fine, temperature is normal, so I have to keep an eye on her for a few days, give her Baytril and try to get eye drops in. So fingers crossed it is nothing more than that. I will take precautions ie hand washing after dealing with her and won't let her in contact with others.

Last edited:
Samantha my NZW is not herself. Both her eyes are running, started today, could it be a reaction to the vacc? She had it on the 20th September. She has never been ill before. I am going to the Vets tomorrow at 8.30 with Roger for neutering so I will try to get her into the pet carrier. She usually resists but I will have to grab her!

Oh, sorry to hear that! It could be a reaction to the vaccination, but that would usually happen sooner than three weeks later. Is there any soreness at the injection site that you can see?

Did it just come on suddenly today?

No, no soreness and yes it has come on today. Doesn't it take time for the virus to show itself?

Any reaction to the vaccination is normally evident within 3 weeks.

The Product Data sheet:

A transient temperature increase of 1 - 2 °C can occur. A small, non-painful swelling (maximum 2 cm diameter) at the injection site is commonly observed within the first two weeks after vaccination. The swelling will resolve completely by 3 weeks after vaccination.
In pet rabbits, in very rare cases, local reactions at the injection site such as necrosis, scabs, crusts or hair loss may occur. In very rare cases serious hypersensitivity reactions, which may be fatal, may occur after vaccination. In very rare cases the appearance of mild clinical signs of myxomatosis may occur within 3 weeks of vaccination. Recent or latent infection with field myxoma virus seems to play a role in this to a certain extent.

If she's going to the vet tomorrow the vet can take her temperature and perhaps check her teeth as well as a normal all round health check up.

I would think her teeth are more likely to be the problem. I'd definitely pop her to the vets tomorrow.

Is she eating and pooing ok?

Yes, she is eating as normal and always has lovely poops, she eats loads of hay. It's really a coincidence I suppose but I brought her home on the 13 October 2011, she was 1 yr old, so that makes her 4 now. In Rabbiting On it says NZWs live till they are about 4, but I thought they could live much longer?

Back