• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grass variety ID

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
Scamp loves this grass which grows where I forage - any ideas what species it is? It's really long - about 2' and grows in clumps, wide leaves that are very rough.

grass_zps455e5c12.jpg

I was going to go with fescue but the seedhead is not quite right. What's the stem like? It may be cocksfoot. :wave:

I'm not sure, I might have to go check that. The leaves come out of quite a dense clump about a foot around, and I can pick a 2' long piece without getting the stem. It's not upright, the leaves flop over. Should have taken a picture of the actual clump.

Couch grass maybe? seedhead doesnt look quite right but thats clumps, and the leaf description matches. Although its something the horses tend to avoid so not sure its that yummy.

I'd've said couchgrass but my grass knowledge is VERY limited! Lopsy likes it, whatever it is, and prefers it to the 'hardwearing lawn' stuff (maybe ryegrass?).

Back