• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox Issue!

suzie_indale

Young Bun
Hi all,

Debating bringing my bunnies into the side alley which runs down the entire house within the next few weeks. The temperature isn't a huge difference from outside but it's enclosed and secure.

I'm thinking of bringing them in due to the harsh weather we're expecting and also because foxes have been spotted by next door and me in both of our gardens! :( Their hutch and run is secure (hutch gets 'locked down' at night with the run taken apart and put around it) but I'm wary with winter approaching that the fox may get bold whilst trying to feed itself and any young!

Opinions?

Edit as forgot to add: the fox doesn't stay in the garden long as next doors dog chases it off (we share our garden) but when they move the dog inside was when I was thinking of moving the rabbits in as well.

Foxes are very determined so you must do all you can to protect your rabbits. In the 16 years I have had rabbits I have heard hundreds of sad stories :( so don't be complacent.

if you have somewhere to keep them inside, and you think they'd cope being indoors, then i'd bring them in now for the winter (or forever!). it'll give you peace of mind in terms of foxes, weather etc.

my two live outside but i know their enclosure is very secure. that said, if i ever saw a fox nearby i'd bring them in without a second thought.

I think part of my worry with foxes is that even if they don't get in, they can still scare the poor bun to death.

If they need to stay outside, I'd continue locking the hutch down (padlocks etc?) and put a cover over it, so they can't see each other.

My buns are in a shed and locked away at night, so even though we have loads of foxes, we've *touchwood* never had an issue.

It's a difficult situation as you can only do so much, depending on resources and space etc :( I think one of the rescues on here swears by some or the fox repellents, I think it's a high pitched device that emits a sound only the fox can hear and it puts them off?

someone's been chewing bones right outside my back door - evidence, they left the bones and local slugs are loving them. they didn't get the bones from my house - they brought their own. not sure what - foxes, cats, maybe rats sometimes hang about round here. :(

someone's been chewing bones right outside my back door - evidence, they left the bones and local slugs are loving them. they didn't get the bones from my house - they brought their own. not sure what - foxes, cats, maybe rats sometimes hang about round here. :(
Could also be squirrels: I had a leftover roast bones colection when I was a kid and caught a squirrel digging through the months-old ones to find one to chew.

We have squirrels floating around all the time, probably why the foxes have moved in!

Thanks for all your advice, I'm moving Bonnie and Jovi in this weekend to the side corridor as that's when next doors dog will be bought inside for winter (they leave the back door open for him as he gets stressed when he's inside for too long).

Any advice for helping the transition be smoother for them?

Back