• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Shedding

DrPhil

New Kit
Have a resQ Rex doe here. She's shedding as its Australian spring however instead of a slicker brush, I've used the purina deshedder comb.

Amazingly I've generated a huge amount of fluff- I just wanna check I'm not pulling out her fur!
ahyty5u3.jpg
9umu6yge.jpg
e5yne2et.jpg

Thing is it's not "sharp" like a slicker brush!!
4a8ysepe.jpg

And as you can see my scrubs are covered in fur!
3a2ehymu.jpg

I have never used that type of grooming aid on my Rexes, but from the photo it looks as though it has only taken off the already lose fluff. Some grooming aids can be harsh and as Rabbits have such delicate skin that tears easily great care needs to be taken that the grooming aid does not cause an injury

I prefer to simply use damp hands to remove the lose coat of a Rex in heavy moult

Rabbits001.jpg

Rabbits002-2.jpg

Rabbits005-1.jpg

Rabbits006-1.jpg

Have a resQ Rex doe here. She's shedding as its Australian spring however instead of a slicker brush, I've used the purina deshedder comb.

Amazingly I've generated a huge amount of fluff- I just wanna check I'm not pulling out her fur!
ahyty5u3.jpg
9umu6yge.jpg
e5yne2et.jpg

Thing is it's not "sharp" like a slicker brush!!
4a8ysepe.jpg

And as you can see my scrubs are covered in fur!
3a2ehymu.jpg

Her coat looks immaculate and it doesn't look like you've pulled out any fur :D

A lot of people use grooming devices that look like instruments of torture to me, but if you use them carefully they can work well. I'm always careful of the slicker brush as I think it's the one with the little wires and these can be unsuitable for some rabbits.

Yes the little wires look as if it would hurt! ESP with ultra short coats.

It's just with my bucks I've never pulled out that much fur! Those photos are just off one side!

Back