• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My parents think Fluffy will wreck the room

How can you be certain that he won't? :lol:

House rabbits are very destructive! They eat wires, chew furniture, one of mine even ate wallpaper off the walls! I now have to pay for my Dad to redecorate the living room.

Fortunately my dad is a massive pushover and softie when it comes to animals and he loved Benji and Daisy, but I felt guilty that they were ruining the house.

If you are dead set on him coming inside, you need to be prepared for destruction and that you might have to pay for things to be repaired/replaced unless he has his own room. :)

Last edited:
Matthew Tabitha Charles and Cecile wrecked the house.
Fortunately, I'm the adult and its my house.
I wouldn't ever support anyone in 'convincing' their parents to have rabbits in the house.

I'm trying to be optimistic! :lol:

We need to move Fluffy inside so Belle can have the shed for winter.

He'll either have his own room or a sectioned off area of my bedroom

So was Benji! But not when it came to wires. :lol:

And Daisy, but she sure had a taste for wallpaper!

I don't think they'll be any wires..... :lol:
(Trying to find a way around this)

And I could put Some grids around corners to protect wallpapers...

If you buy a puppy pen for him to live in and buy an off cut of carpet/Lino to go under it and either make sure the pen in really tall or make a roof of some sort then the room should be safe. But rabbits wreck rooms... They just do :roll: :lol:

But rabbits wreck rooms... They just do

oh yes they do.

I've had my telephone wires cut mid-conversation. There isn't a room in my house where there isn't damage to the wallpaper. My £1400 carpet (that was a lot to me, I know its not unusual, but its unheard of for me to spend so much) has to be binned shortly (and I won't be having a new one until next spring because I wasn't quick enough in sorting out outdoor accomm for my four...).

Don't do it. Don't believe the rot about 'house rabbits'. Yes, you know them and love them more if they are in the house. But it means you live in a hutch, not that they become house-dwellers.

Last edited:
Yep, sorry but I have to agree on house bunnies! Mine weren't even super destructive but they wrecked a carpet and several doors.

I'm with happybun. I'm an adult, and it's my house, but I still have an argument with my dad every time he comes over as to why my bunnies are indoors!!

We moved into our house just over a year ago and inherited all the carpets, curtains etc so I'm not particularly precious about any of those (which is good as they now all have holes in!) but I did buy a new ikea unit and that has a few chunks missing. This is despite me putting several tunnels/toys etc in the dining room to try and keep them occupied! Our buns have free range of the dining room 24/7 and then just get let in the lounge when we're there. Most of my clothes have at least one hole in them somewhere and our sofa has a few nibbles marks here and there.... BUT other than that they are fine!

As Hele says, if you can contain them/him they shouldn't be a problem at all. But if you let them free range you really have to keep an eye on them or they get into everything. I think they are actually worse than kids to an extent!

Good luck! :lol:

I'm with happybun. I'm an adult, and it's my house, but I still have an argument with my dad every time he comes over as to why my bunnies are indoors!!

We moved into our house just over a year ago and inherited all the carpets, curtains etc so I'm not particularly precious about any of those (which is good as they now all have holes in!) but I did buy a new ikea unit and that has a few chunks missing. This is despite me putting several tunnels/toys etc in the dining room to try and keep them occupied! Our buns have free range of the dining room 24/7 and then just get let in the lounge when we're there. Most of my clothes have at least one hole in them somewhere and our sofa has a few nibbles marks here and there.... BUT other than that they are fine!

As Hele says, if you can contain them/him they shouldn't be a problem at all. But if you let them free range you really have to keep an eye on them or they get into everything. I think they are actually worse than kids to an extent!

Good luck! :lol:

Kids can't fit into some of the small gaps that rabbits can. :lol:

I brought up a child and the only damage she ever did was to one lipstick. she didn't chew wires. she didn't wee on the floor. she never dug a hole in a carpet. I didn't catch her once, in all those years, chewing on a skirting board or taking pleasure in ripping wallpaper off the walls. she didn't seek out polythene bags or other dangerous items to chew on and she never jumped into three months food supply and weed on it.

adopt a baby instead....;):lol:;)
[but if anyone asks, it wasn't my idea...:lol:]

BBB you're not wrong! not once did I have to pull out the freezer to catch a hidden child...

I brought up a child and the only damage she ever did was to one lipstick. she didn't chew wires. she didn't wee on the floor. she never dug a hole in a carpet. I didn't catch her once, in all those years, chewing on a skirting board or taking pleasure in ripping wallpaper off the walls. she didn't seek out polythene bags or other dangerous items to chew on and she never jumped into three months food supply and weed on it.

adopt a baby instead....;):lol:;)
[but if anyone asks, it wasn't my idea...:lol:]

BBB you're not wrong! not once did I have to pull out the freezer to catch a hidden child...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I was a toddler I stood in my cot and peeled a load of wallpaper off... I'd have to check with my mum if I did any of the other things on your list!!! LOL!!!

I live with my parents at the moment and my two bunnies are outside, but sometimes I think about how lovely it'd be to have them inside. I would never be allowed, but I've researched it for something to do. Personally the best scenario would be to get a really big (6 x 4 or 8 x 4 or bigger) indoor cage like this http://www.boylespethousing.co.uk/rabbit-housing/indoor-rabbit-cage.html and the bunny would be contained unless you're there to watch him like a hawk. It's tall enough to not allow escapes, the lack of mesh ensures no hay etc can get everywhere. It means everything is protected while bunny is in the cage, and then just allow a few hours in the evening for extra exercise. The pen does need to be at least 6 x 4 or 8 x 4 though to allow proper exercise 24/7. If you don't have the space to offer constant access to 6 x 4 or larger then it's inappropriate to bring him in :wave:

I've obviously been very lucky with Louie, the only thing he has eaten is wires and that was my own fault for not covering/moving them.

It all depends on the bun. Some destroy some things. Others destroy everything. My bun has never chewed wires but will eat every card box she can get her paws on, and in unfamiliar territory, poo and pee to her hearts content. To be constructive, I would suggest limiting your buns' space and taking it slowly if you would like the folks to accept buns' limits and whatever is not a problem. It is their place. Try to work with, monitor and introduce, slowly.

My indoor house ninja has a pen space she has learnt to jump over. She has a large hutch as a base and larger than recommended area with pen space she has access to 24/7. Sleeps in my bedroom mostly other than times when she has peed in bedroom too many times for me to get a goods nights rest. Last time was me waking up to pile of poops and wee next my head. Always gets let back in after a few day and then behaves herself. Has access to rest of (small) flat in evenings and weekends, but I would never let her have access to everywhere if I wasn't in. But, it is my flat and I do the laundry. When it comes to carpet, she has only dug up bits of her carpet tiles at most, which are in her own pen. You can usually get samples from carpet stores for that, it doesn't really matter. If whole flat then cover bits or restrict the space.

Fingers X'd now I am not doomed.. :lol:

Last edited:
We have been lucky with rosie that she never took much of an interest in chewing skirting boards or walls etc and she has never pee'd on anything but she has taken to digging on our ikea couch recently and it is breaking my heart. We are having to cover it or not let her in the room anymore :/

Our other bunny Freddie is the least destructive bunny ever. That said I have every single room in the house well bunny proofed !!!

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Back