• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To insulate or not to insulate?

HarrytheHop

Young Bun
I've got some spare foil-backed insulation and was planning to do the whole of the playhouse. However, looking at plywood to cover it with and it is ££££. Thinking now I might just do the roof, as well as covering with tarpaulin. Do you think this is good enough? I've also got a little hut for them to cuddle up in, snuggle safes and will put other boxes and hidey holes in.
Also, I've bought some straw, but unsure about putting it all over Lino on floor in case it confuses litter training. What do you think? Haven't had bunnies in winter before, so need some advice

You could insulate the roof no problem but dont used tarp .. Try to use thick builders polythene.. It doesnt tend to leak as much,,,,,

Thanks! My husband will be relieved that he doesn't have to ply the whole lot. Now I just need to tell him my plans for the mezzanine level!

I only insulated my shed cos I bought it cheap online, as it was an overlap build...so not strong enough to be secure.. but, the cost and time to second layer it has been.. umm...a lot...so if you don't need to double layer for security reasons, I reckon it's fine. :thumb:

When you say 'mezzazine level' , do you mean a second story within shed? .... I'm thinking of one too...but cos of the cost of the double wooden panels inside the shed, don't think I will be able to do it till next year...

I reckon you've made a great plan :thumb:

Lots of cosy, hay / straw filled boxes and hideys inside playhouse and checkin for leaks / draughts / damp bedding, every day...that's what I do, and my Buns are happy...I never had Buns outside in Winter in Yorkshire before.... I have a thermometer on the wall inside the shed..so can moniter the temp.. x

Last edited:
We had a second floor in the playhouse when we first set it up, held up with shelf brackets. Wood wasn't sturdy enough and started to bow, so took it out. Since the weekend I've decided not to try to put it back in as new indoor hut is bigger than I thought and they are already enjoying sitting on that together. Never say never though - my rabbit housing plans are always changing!

We had a second floor in the playhouse when we first set it up, held up with shelf brackets. Wood wasn't sturdy enough and started to bow, so took it out. Since the weekend I've decided not to try to put it back in as new indoor hut is bigger than I thought and they are already enjoying sitting on that together. Never say never though - my rabbit housing plans are always changing!

Nice one...yes...our rabbit housing plans are always changing... :D

Back