• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

That's such a Rabbity person thing to say....

Rab-bit

Alpha Buck
OH and I were in the rabbit shed doing last minutes minute prep for our holiday. I gave them all some hay and said "I just love the sound of all the bunnies chomping hay" :love: and he replied with the title of this thread. This got me to thinking:
1. Does anyone else love that sound? (all 4 of mine were happily munching)
2. What things do you say that make people respond the same way as my OH did.

P.S. I am so nervous about leaving the buns with my Mum, she is thankfully coming to house sit but Moley, Pops and Py tend to get gas and I am so worried she won't see the signs as she doesn't know them like I do!! :(

I have said no eating = vet visit, no pooing = vet visit. Fingers crossed for me everyone.

OH and I were in the rabbit shed doing last minutes minute prep for our holiday. I gave them all some hay and said "I just love the sound of all the bunnies chomping hay" :love: and he replied with the title of this thread. This got me to thinking:
1. Does anyone else love that sound? (all 4 of mine were happily munching)
2. What things do you say that make people respond the same way as my OH did.

P.S. I am so nervous about leaving the buns with my Mum, she is thankfully coming to house sit but Moley, Pops and Py tend to get gas and I am so worried she won't see the signs as she doesn't know them like I do!! :(

I have said no eating = vet visit, no pooing = vet visit. Fingers crossed for me everyone.

I love the sound too! I sit on the floor with mine when they get new hay and listen to it because they dive right in! :lol:

Pretty much everything I say about rabbits is met with that I think. I work in an office and lots of people ask me about the bunnies, but when I start going on about how they need lots of space and a hutch isn't suitable and how they need constant hay and a little pellet etc. I know they think I'm mental. :lol: But I guess even if one person takes it in its something! I think I'm the ''crazy bunny lady'' in the office.

When I left my mum with my bunnies (it was only one night) I still wrote out a simple sheet basically saying that when she gives them pellet/hay they ALWAYS run straight to it and eat. If they don't, there could be something wrong. I wrote out a sheet with a few things to look for and a vet number etc etc. Then I left the carrier and everything in easy reach in case there was an emergency. There obviously wasn't but I'm glad I was prepared :thumb:

Yes, I love hearing the rabbits eat :love: I went to see Sarah1989 the other day and we were listening to them eating spinach and their hay and saying what a nice sound it is :love:

The other thing I do is examine poo (rabbit poo that is:lol:) for size, shape and consistency which makes my OH laugh :lol:

Yes, I love hearing the rabbits eat :love: I went to see Sarah1989 the other day and we were listening to them eating spinach and their hay and saying what a nice sound it is :love:

The other thing I do is examine poo (rabbit poo that is:lol:) for size, shape and consistency which makes my OH laugh :lol:

I'm jealous that you guys all get to see each other, I want to meet another crazy bunny person :lol: I'm the only one where I am! :(

I love the sound!

Pretty much everything I do/say rabbit related gets met with that response by my OH, at least it mostly stays in his head though!

With regards to pet sitters/family members looking after them, I have a rabbit folder!
It has their routine in there (pellets, hay, water in the morning. Crunchie, hay and water top ups midday. Veggies, hay, water evening) as well as a checklist (are all pellets eaten? Have you seen each bunny eat? Are there poos on top of the fresh hay before you put new down? Do any of the bunnies look uncomfortable? Have they all been excited when the realise you're feeding them?) And at the bottom it says in huge writing "if no to any of the above, please take said bun and their partner to the vets immediately, and ring me).

Each bun then has a sections about their personalities, likes a dislikes including food preferences and how much they get. They also have a medication page each that is an empty table that I fill in when each is on medication, what they're on, how much, when etc. And whoever is looking after them can add any meds they may receive at a vet visit.
Then I have a list of safe veggies, in case the person needs to buy more.
I've also got the print out of the first aid talk I went to with the Bristol Hopper Group :lol:

At first OH said I was OTT, but my pet sitter loved it, she found it so useful as a reference as there was obviously a lot of information to take in the first time I met her. OH has also found it useful if he's had to drop in on them at short notice

Love the munching sound :love:.

Commenting on poos too. My pair have been doing massive, really light golden poos recently (since I changed them from a hay I thought they liked - the green American Timothy stuff to a more bog standard Timothy hay). I've been tempted to post a poo photo on RU on more than one occasion. :lol:

Yes, I love the nibbling sound. :love:

I also love little (or big in Hector's case) feetsies!! I think that's quite a rabbity thing too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pah, I go so far as to show the OH what the poos should look like, for when I'm away and he needs to bunny-sit :) He only does the 'interesting' bits usually: he's a leaf-bringer and DIY-helper.

Have they all been excited when the realise you're feeding them?
I put this on my checklist too, although it's more 'the thought of you feeding him' as Lopsy's DESPERATE for food all the time: anyone would think we starved him, greedy wossname!

I'm going away for 4 whole days next week (to St. Petersburg, Russia: first time in 10 years, and very first time for OH!) but two bunny-friendly people who've got a houserabbit are coming over to see him: they're not the best bunny-mum&dad but they try really hard and are very good with Lopsy, and know what to look for health-wise and where the vets are!

I knew I wouldn't be alone if I posted this on RU, just love the bunny madness :) Sarah 1991 I too would love a bunny nuts friend but don't really meet any, apart front he fosterer I adopted Kiki from but i don't know how to make friends with someone being in my 30's, it feels weird :oops:

Thanks for all the list suggestions I have actually done this, I have a bunny bible it is an a4 ring binder with, each bunnies vacc cards, likes, dislikes, health, medicine requirements (Poppy has arthritis, which she gets Metacam every other day for) luckily she loves it and can't wait to lick it up :).
I did think about putting pictures of poos but I have told her to look at them tonight when she arrives and then mKe sure they are always like that. I have this in bunny bible too nice round shape and not too small :lol: I abve also said if one of them isn't doing the bunny food dance there is a problem :oops:

I am going to South Africa so won't be available at all so I have bolded out the vet part and said it doesnt matter what time of day...

I think the poo thing I.e. Being obsessed with it is def a rabbity person thing , I try to show OH but he just sighs at me and goes back to what he was doing :lol:

I say it too :D I love that sound and the smell of new hay. My hubby says he loves hearing 5 pairs of teeth crunching away in the morning :love:

Oh yes, the sound of rabbits eating their hay is one of the best in the world.

I also love their enthusiasm when its pellet o'clock.

When people ask how many rabbits I have and I say eight they are often a bit :shock:

I am another person who would love a rabbit mad person (or more) in my life who would be as enthusiastic as me about them.

Oh yes, the sound of rabbits eating their hay is one of the best in the world.

I also love their enthusiasm when its pellet o'clock.

When people ask how many rabbits I have and I say eight they are often a bit :shock:

I am another person who would love a rabbit mad person (or more) in my life who would be as enthusiastic as me about them.

Pellet O clock, I love it :D

I'm terrified about leaving four of my bunnies with my OH whilst I'm in Costa Rica next month. Due to my accident last month, all my savings are gone & I could no longer afford to board all the bunnies :cry: Blackavar & Cherry are going to boarding because Blackavar's prone to stasis, gets easily stressed & has dental issues. My other four are all healthy so I feel *slightly* better about leaving them at home. They've all go folders with all their info on & I've got two pages of instructions for OH, but I'm still terrified if one gets poorly & he doesn't notice :( I so wish I could afford to put them all in boarding :(

Just wanted to say the car accident was not my fault - someone pulled out of a side road, hit the back of my car which somehow (I don't remember) spun the car & caused me to be hit head on by a van on the opposition side of the road. I'd already booked the holiday & if o cancelled, I'd lose the money. Which I can't afford even though I can't afford to go anymore :(

So yes, I understand completely how you feel about leaving them!

I don't think I've had anything like that said to me.

OH said something really cute though. He looked after them the other weekend and when I got back he said they'd been out all weekend as Molly refused to go back into their room, he said 'he was lying in the middle of the hallway like a chaise lounge' and he did the little action too. Made me chuckle.
:lol:

I generally don't know any bunny people in real life but one day I was buying hay when I overheard another customer discussing the hay quality with the assistant. Had to stick my oar in and we started talking and she mentioned how it was so important for rabbits to have plenty hay and how she didn't feed much dried food And how much space rabbits need and just generally good rabbit welfare. I was delighted to talk to someone who didn't think I was mad as you can often feel like a lone figure in a sea of "they'll be perfectly fine in a small hutch"

I also love it when they get their new hay.chomp chomp chomp:love:

Back