• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jasper :-(

Inimical Me

Wise Old Thumper
Noticed he was quiet yesterday and I've struggled to tempt him to eat. He's normally the noisiest, most demanding of food and affection rabbit I've known so I'm in a panic. Since 7pm last night (when I got home from work) I've seen him eat a tiny piece of carrot and a couple of sprigs of coriander. I saw him have a little drink this morning but he hasn't done more than a few little poos.

He's very active and has escaped from their run (in front room) a couple of times. He seems uncomfortable on his right back leg but isn't holding it up off the ground. I don't know if he's been mental, tried to jump out and hurt himself.

He's no better this morning. I picked him up this morning to check his bum and he leapt out of my arms and crashed into the top edge of the run :cry:. He won't eat anything I try and tempt him with and anything I leave gets eaten by Bea. She's thrilled to be getting all the food as he tries to eat her share. He's normally so greedy he tried to run off with a domino's pizza box the other day.

So now I have to ring in work, my nice boss isn't in so I'll have to explain this to someone who doesn't understand or give a **** and hammer my credit card even more as stupidly going through a relationship breakup meant we delayed getting insurance :roll:. I've had about 4 minutes sleep from worrying.

Never having another rabbit as a pet, they are seriously more heartbreak than they are worth but I love the :censored: things. :cry:

Noticed he was quiet yesterday and I've struggled to tempt him to eat. He's normally the noisiest, most demanding of food and affection rabbit I've known so I'm in a panic. Since 7pm last night (when I got home from work) I've seen him eat a tiny piece of carrot and a couple of sprigs of coriander. I saw him have a little drink this morning but he hasn't done more than a few little poos.

He's very active and has escaped from their run (in front room) a couple of times. He seems uncomfortable on his right back leg but isn't holding it up off the ground. I don't know if he's been mental, tried to jump out and hurt himself.

He's no better this morning. I picked him up this morning to check his bum and he leapt out of my arms and crashed into the top edge of the run :cry:. He won't eat anything I try and tempt him with and anything I leave gets eaten by Bea. She's thrilled to be getting all the food as he tries to eat her share. He's normally so greedy he tried to run off with a domino's pizza box the other day.

So now I have to ring in work, my nice boss isn't in so I'll have to explain this to someone who doesn't understand or give a **** and hammer my credit card even more as stupidly going through a relationship breakup meant we delayed getting insurance :roll:. I've had about 4 minutes sleep from worrying.

Never having another rabbit as a pet, they are seriously more heartbreak than they are worth but I love the :censored: things. :cry:

Oh no poor Jasper :cry: I hope the Vet can get him feeling much better soon. I know what you mean about the stress and heartbreak caring for Rabbits can cause. Sometimes I too feel I just cant do it any more :cry:

Thanks everyone. He's normally such a little character that it's horrible seeing him not doing a lot. Even though he's bonded he usually goes mental when he sees me or o/h. I feel awful for letting him jump out of my arms before too :cry:. We have a midday appointment with the vet, it's hard work not having a car and no way I could go to work. It's 35 minutes there and back on the tram or an hour on the bus (my usual way) so by the time I got there I'd have to leave. Plus he will need syringe feeding throughout the day no doubt and I wouldn't normally be home until nearly 7.

I don't know why I'm trying to justify myself here :oops:, I just feel bad for ringing in work even though no-one else ever does!

Thank you x. He just ate a sprig of coriander which is better than nothing but he turned his nose up at the rest. He's walking rather than hopping on his back leg(s). I had a rabbit with a broken leg before and aside from being painfully expensive she never used the leg again so I just think the worst.. He's a softy though, even a change of scenery puts him in a mood sometimes (my bun with the broken leg was hard as nails and the vet said it couldn't be broken because she was eating normally) so I desperately hope that some metacam will take the edge off for him.

Oh no poor Jasper :cry: I hope the Vet can get him feeling much better soon. I know what you mean about the stress and heartbreak caring for Rabbits can cause. Sometimes I too feel I just cant do it any more :cry:

They are uniquely stressful creatures. They're like a living paradox and defy logic (perhaps this is why we identify with them :oops:)

I felt the same when bonding - they can't be alone but all seem to dislike each other :roll:. They need to graze constantly but go off their food at the slightest thing. They need to be seen by a vet almost instantly if they're ill but will hide their symptoms until the end. I know there are evolutionary reasons for this stuff but it's so frustrating! They are a law unto themselves aren't they? I find myself getting annoyed. Not with them, with myself, for picking such fussy, delicate little creatures to love. But then they have their little ways and you block out how stressful it is when they're poorly and you feel helpless.

Aw... I know exactly what you mean. I love their contradictions, but it's bloomin tricky sometimes. Such fragile, funny, fussy beasts.

Everything crossed that Jasper feels a lot better soon.

Thanks guys. He perked up a little bit at the vets :roll:, got the usual stasis treatment - injected in the surgery and metacam, metaclopromide and cisapride.

It's made no difference, he's eaten another sprig of coriander and one pellet :(. No poos. Probably got about 10ml of recovery food into him on first syringing attempt and none on the second, he just slumps there and lets it run out of his mouth.

No obvious sign of physical injury, possible soft tissue injury as he's walking a bit odd but could be tummy ache I suppose. I've tried to tempt him with every herb and vegetable going and he's not interested. Will happily sit there and clean himself after I've tried to feed him and he's got it everywhere. It starts to make me and I wonder why I bother trying since this never seems to end positively. Meanwhile half the rabbit owning population just leaves them in a hutch feeding the shittest food going but manage to keep them alive longer than I can.

Thanks guys. He perked up a little bit at the vets :roll:, got the usual stasis treatment - injected in the surgery and metacam, metaclopromide and cisapride.

It's made no difference, he's eaten another sprig of coriander and one pellet :(. No poos. Probably got about 10ml of recovery food into him on first syringing attempt and none on the second, he just slumps there and lets it run out of his mouth.

No obvious sign of physical injury, possible soft tissue injury as he's walking a bit odd but could be tummy ache I suppose. I've tried to tempt him with every herb and vegetable going and he's not interested. Will happily sit there and clean himself after I've tried to feed him and he's got it everywhere. It starts to make me and I wonder why I bother trying since this never seems to end positively. Meanwhile half the rabbit owning population just leaves them in a hutch feeding the shittest food going but manage to keep them alive longer than I can.

Not true .. they just don't notice when something's wrong until it's too late ...

I do hope Jasper picks up this evening .. x

:cry::cry::cry:

I don't know if I'm syringe feeding wrong - I go in the gap between his teeth like I've been shown and I've syringe fed before, but he doesn't do anything, just lets it dribble out. He seemed to swallow the medicine earlier but the recovery feed just ends up dribbling out of his mouth and getting everywhere.

I've got the 15ml syringe with the long, thin end. Last time I syringe fed I used a 1ml syringe with the end cut off but it's so small that I'd be syringe feeding 24 hours a day to get enough in him. I haven't seen any poos since last night and they were small and hard (compared to his usual amazing,gigantic golden poos) but there wasn't a blockage according to the vet. Hopefully he'll just decide to eat again because I'm sure the fuss of trying to syringe him just makes matters worse if none of it is actually being ingested! I'm just stressing him out for no good reason. I'm probably doing something wrong.

I've had to separate him from Bea (they can see each other but neither seems to care anyway) because everything I gave him to try and tempt him to eat she just eats so I have no idea who is eating what.

48 hours later and he's up and down off the sofa snatching fenugreek crunches out of my hand like none of it happened :roll:. Pretty sure he did it to torture me at the end of an already awful week while I'm ill and poor :lol:. I was so upset last night - might have been a tad dramatic but it's awful when they have no fight in them. If I can pick a rabbit up for any length of time without being scratched and kicked it's not right!

48 hours later and he's up and down off the sofa snatching fenugreek crunches out of my hand like none of it happened :roll:. Pretty sure he did it to torture me at the end of an already awful week while I'm ill and poor :lol:. I was so upset last night - might have been a tad dramatic but it's awful when they have no fight in them. If I can pick a rabbit up for any length of time without being scratched and kicked it's not right!

I cry a lot when either of my two stop eating :oops: It's the single most stressful thing in my life. Well, when one of the birds was ill that was about equal. My cats and hamsters don't stress me out as much as them though!

So glad he's feeling better, you deserve a really relaxing weekend now!

Woohoo great news :wave:

Back