• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it definitely too late ....

luna

Mama Doe
To move a rabbit outside to a wendy house set up? I have lots of heat pads etc. Rosie is in the coldest room of our house (the kitchen) and I'm just wondering have I definitely missed the cut off period for making the transition? I really am kicking myself for not doing it a week or two ago :(

I have absolutely no enquiries about rehoming Rosie and the only people who have said they might consider her are people offering outdoor homes. I actually really feel in my heart that Rosie would suit an outdoor home as she has never wanted to come back inside when I let her out. I don't know what to do. I feel I have messed up her chances of an adoption now :( xx

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

I have no idea, but do you know what the temperature difference is like between the kitchen and outdoors at night? That might be helpful for those more in the know.

I have no idea, but do you know what the temperature difference is like between the kitchen and outdoors at night? That might be helpful for those more in the know.

Erm .... I don't really know to be honest. The temp in our house this morning getting up was 17 but the kitchen was quite abit cooler so perhaps 15 .the outside temps were 7 degrees I think xx

I think you'd just about be ok for most of the UK, the temperatures here last week were about 14/15 in the day, and it's only the last few days it's been dropping at night to 5 ish.

I think you'd just about be ok for most of the UK, the temperatures here last week were about 14/15 in the day, and it's only the last few days it's been dropping at night to 5 ish.

Do you think she would have a better chance of being adopted if she was outdoors Tamsin?

It just depends who is looking for a bunny, being indoor or out widens up the pool of potential adopters I suppose :) Did you try Rabbit Rehome too?

It just depends who is looking for a bunny, being indoor or out widens up the pool of potential adopters I suppose :) Did you try Rabbit Rehome too?

No but it's been on my to do list. I looked on Friday. Wasnt too sure at the time whether I use my log in for here or a new one so kept meaning to come back to it.

I will have to decide what to do about Rosie first as I will need to make a decision and move her outside tomorrow if that's what we are going to do. I'm afraid she will get snuffles or something and that would not be good :/

No, it's separate you'll need to create a new login, it's definitely worth a try.

You could pop her out in the day time - that will probably help her start adjusting and then if you do find an indoor home it won't matter to bring her back in.

I am afraid I think it is too late to put her out now. It is not just the fact that she will need to 'get used to' a change in environmental temperature, but she probably will not have developed such a dense winter coat. Unless overnight temperatures remain in double figures for the next few weeks (which on the mainland UK they will not) I would not risk it. Sorry :cry:

Has she moulted and got her winter coat. I know Doughnut has just stopped so she won't be getting any fluffier.

I'm not sure but isn't moulting also triggered by the weather and not just at set times of the year? Alfie and Lola seemed to have a really long moult throughout the late spring/early summer in order to shed their winter coats and, every time the temperature rose, they moulted a little more. :lol::lol: We've had a pretty mild September this year & so they haven't started moulting into their winter coat yet, so I'm presuming they'll do so once the temperature drops a little more. In which case, the same would apply for Rosie.

Imo, I think it'll still be warm enough now, as long as the housing is sheltered & you pop in a heatpad, a cardboard box stuffed with hay etc. Have you measured the temperature or is that just a guess-timate? It can feel pretty cold first thing in the morning here but it's actually about 12 degrees, whereas I would estimate it to be much lower. :oops::lol:

Thanks everyone for your replies. There seems to be quite a split in opinions.

Rosie has started a heavy moult in the past week. And only finished her massive summer moult about six weeks before. I am putting it down to the kitchen getting quite cold.

We checked the night time temps in Dublin for the coming week and temps are dropping to 2 degrees so that's almost to freezing temperatures !!!! I'm thinking that is way too low to put her out ??!!

The wendy house itself is very sheltered and there is a second level made from two lacke tables that I could put her covered litter box on and fill it with straw and hay and cover with fleeces.i could put a carpet tile on the other table with a heat pad and keep the hatch closed at night. But 2 degrees is very cold coming from 15 degrees in the kitchen :(

Oh I just wish that she was getting some interest. I'm starting to panic now :(

Personally I think it's a bit unfair, as well as cold, to put her outside alone when she is used to being in the middle of the household. I do understand that you are in a difficult situation though and I hope you find a solution that works for both you and Rosie x

I am afraid I think it is too late to put her out now. It is not just the fact that she will need to 'get used to' a change in environmental temperature, but she probably will not have developed such a dense winter coat. Unless overnight temperatures remain in double figures for the next few weeks (which on the mainland UK they will not) I would not risk it. Sorry :cry:

I'm with Jane on this Luna , sorry.

My 2 are outdoors and are nearly at the end of a spectacular moult and lovely new thick coats are almost grown.

I think 2 degrees from 15 degrees is too much.:(

I'm just trying to increase her chance of adoption so that ultimately she won't be on her own and can have company of her own kind.

I do feel that 2 degrees is very low though and I would be plagued by guilt :(

We checked the night time temps in Dublin for the coming week and temps are dropping to 2 degrees so that's almost to freezing temperatures !!!! I'm thinking that is way too low to put her out ??!!

I agree, I think that would be too much of a change in temperature. (And, wow, it's gonna get cold.... :shock::shock:) If it wasn't so low, I would consider it - I was thinking that you'd guessed it was around 7 degrees overnight but in reality it was more like 12/13. :lol:

I wouldn't be so concerned about her being on her own out there for a short period of time - it's not ideal but you're only doing it to increase her chances of adoption - I do think it might be too cold though.

It's only really got really cold here last few nights - but enough for me to bring my horse in so I wouldn't be chucking a bunny outside now, unless they are already in a room where the windows are always open & are going into a shed set up so not overly dissimilar temps overnight or something.

It's only been a week so I shouldn't worry about lack of interest. Is she on RR?

Some people might be against this but could you list them on the Freeads? You could list a price, but not necessarily charge it to avoid the freebie hunters, plus you could stipulate conditions & say you will home check etc.

You could also contact local rescues - not necessarily to take her but to make them aware she's available for rehome - they may be happy to refer people to you if they have enquiries & nothing suitable & even rehome her through themselves while she remains in your care & you could just make a donation or something.

Mine have their lovely thick fluffy winter coats already, and I've been able to see my breath in the air a couple of days this last week so I don't think I'd risk it now either.
I hope you manage to find a new home for her soon.
Could you board her until you can find a new home if you can't keep her yourself? Or look for a fosterer maybe?

I agree with Angie, there's no reason why you can't list on free ads too; as long as you ask lots of questions, home check if possible etc. You'd need to take the same sort of precautions when rehoming via RR too anyhow.

Back