• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis question

J&R

Mama Doe
Hi,
Rosie was diagnosed with myxi this morning. Luckily she is up to date with her vaccinations and only has one nodule so the vet seemed positive that she will recover fully.
She's been prescribed baytril and has another appointment in 9 days time. The vet said there was no need to separate her from Fiver, does that seem ok to anyone else with experience of this? And is there anything else I can do to help her recover or feel more comfortable in the meantime?

She doesn't seem ill or under the weather at all, it was just such a shock to me that I sat on the floor of the vets crying and so probably didn't ask the questions I should have. Any advice would be a real support, thank you

Sorry Rosie has a nodule. It must be very upsetting for you. It's good she seems ok in herself and there is nothing I know of that you can do to make her more comfortable. I am not sure about keeping her with Fiver, maybe someone else with experience of this can advise on that. It would be a pity to separate them really. Hope Rosie makes a full recovery xx

She may benefit from having Metacam if she starts to run a temperature. Also, the nodules can become quite sore. So I would ask the Vet about it. I'd keep a close eye on her eating and output as keeping her GI tract moving will be important. If any nodules develop near her mouth this can lead to the Rabbit not eating.

If her eyes become sore then she will need abx eye drops too.

I would not separate her from Fiver.

Sending lots of vibes for her xx

My Beatrice has recently recovered from a myxi nodule. It was on her top lip, she just had the one of them and it took about a month in total to rise up, fall off and scar over. I had septrin and metacam from my vet - the antibiotic is to cover against secondary infections which may arise rather than the myxi itself, and the metacam is to help reduce any swelling and discomfort from the nodule(s). Beatrice stayed with her bonded companion throughout.

It is said that if rabbits are kept slightly warmer than usual, that can help them fight off the infection. At this time of year I think that's a tricky balance if they are normally outdoor bunnies, because if you bring them in nice and warm for a few weeks, you may not be able to put them back outside again until it warms up next spring. But on the other hand, it could help her to fight the infection better. If she's ok in herself and it stays just as one nodule which isn't causing any problems, you could leave them outside but perhaps bump up the insulation/cosiness of their house and add a snuggle safe on these chillier nights.

Hopefully it will stay just as one little nodule and won't cause any problems x

Thank you both, she seems perfectly bright in herself. Input and output both normal, it was obviously painful when the nodule is touched but she has happily had dinner and her baytril tonight and her eyes and mouth seem fine so far.
I just hate the thought of her being poorly and I know taking her away from fiver would distress her but you have reassured me, I do appreciate it x

Thank you Santa. I will ask the vet for some metacam to make sure she's not in any pain. she is an outside bun and rarely even likes to sit inside her Wendy house but I shall add some extra straw iand a snugglesafes in their bed so she has the option to warm herself up as Fiver would hate being brought inside and I'd rather she stayed with him if possible.
I'm glad to hear Beatrice recovered fully, Rosie's nodule is about the size of a 20p so will leave a nasty raw patch when it comes off so she may well need more baytril to make sure that doesn't get infected

Eta - hers looks just like Beatrice's, but i can see a sliver of raw pink skin underneath the side where I think she's scratched it

Last edited:
Rosie's nodule has just come off. The skin underneath looks more yellow and crusty than Beatrices did when hers came off, trying to take a photo but she is being shy.
Does that sound concerning?

Ewww yuck! Beatrice's nodule took a few weeks to fall off, I wonder whether she's been picking at it/rubbing it because it's sore and has pulled it off before it was ready to fall off on its own - in much the same way as would happen if you pick at a fresh scab rather than leave it to heal and fall off on its own. I would pop her back to the vets to have that looked at and check that it's not getting infected. Still no sign of any other nodules or ill health?

It does looks icky, but rabbits scabs always do. It's tough to tell with the fluff but the skin around it doesn't look particularly red/swollen. It's probably worth just getting a vet to check it for you though.

How's she in herself?

Sorry for the huge upside down picture, not sure how that happened?

She is absolutely fine in herself, eating fine, running round the garden today, running up for fusses and treats and no sign of any swelling/discharge or any abnormality to her eyes and nose. I think she must have rubbed or scratched it off early as it wasn't significantly raised or looking like it was about to fall off.
The good news is although it looks like sore, rawish skin it is dry so I'm hoping it will heal . she's still on 1 ml of baytril twice a day to prevent any infection but I think I will pop her into the vets tomorrow as you can never be too safe I guess.

Hi,
Rosie was diagnosed with myxi this morning. Luckily she is up to date with her vaccinations and only has one nodule so the vet seemed positive that she will recover fully.
She's been prescribed baytril and has another appointment in 9 days time. The vet said there was no need to separate her from Fiver, does that seem ok to anyone else with experience of this? And is there anything else I can do to help her recover or feel more comfortable in the meantime?

She doesn't seem ill or under the weather at all, it was just such a shock to me that I sat on the floor of the vets crying and so probably didn't ask the questions I should have. Any advice would be a real support, thank you

I would separate her from her friend.:oops: Hope she gets better.

Looking much better, back off to the vets again today but am pleased how it's healed in the last five days.

pic came out too small this time! :roll:
Anyway, vet is also pleased with her healing. We have another two weeks of baytril because the wound was quite deep where she scratched the nodule off instead of it dropping off naturally. It is darker and dry though, no sign of inflamation anywhere and her eating/poos/ temperature and energy levels are all normal so I think I can relax that she is going to make a full recovery :D

I forgot to ask the vet if they should both have their vaccinations early next year seeing as we are such a high risk area but it's only six months since she had hers so I shall ring and check at some point. Thanks for the well wishes everyone

pic came out too small this time! :roll:
Anyway, vet is also pleased with her healing. We have another two weeks of baytril because the wound was quite deep where she scratched the nodule off instead of it dropping off naturally. It is darker and dry though, no sign of inflamation anywhere and her eating/poos/ temperature and energy levels are all normal so I think I can relax that she is going to make a full recovery :D

I forgot to ask the vet if they should both have their vaccinations early next year seeing as we are such a high risk area but it's only six months since she had hers so I shall ring and check at some point. Thanks for the well wishes everyone

It does sound as though she is going to be fine :D You may find that once the hole left by the nodule heals up the fur that regrows may be white instead of black. But that's a very small price to pay xx

Back