• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor Rabbit setup.

Hi me and my GF are lookong for a new setup for the outdoor buns. Their Hutch and run combo is looking a bit rundown. Hoping to spend about £400 on either a shed or hutch and run. The £400 will include painnting and insulating it. Can also repurpose the old run aswell if need be. Any reccomendations at this price range looked at alot of stuff and im just confused.

Also first post so hi everyone. My GF does use RU aswell.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum :)

I would recommend a shed/aviary style setup with that budget. I think you'll get good space for your money and also it's a lot more people-practical than a hutch run as it's easy to walk in.

That still leaves you with quite a few options though, you can buy all in one, go for a shed and add a run (or use your existing on), get something custom build...

Yea I think GF us wanting a shed for ease of cleaning and bunny cuddles(if their taking visitors). Im not convinced by alot of the reviews of sheds by B and Q etc. Probably will use exsiting run. Thanks

You might do better to go to a shed company rather than a big DIY store. I'd look for tongue n groove for the sturdiest option.

The other option would be a kennel/run they are a sort of shed/aviary already together.

Or you could go in the opposite direction and go for a big aviary with a hutch inside (you could roof the aviary for extra protection). This sort of style: http://www.aviaries4u.co.uk/rabbit_runs.htm

Iv emailed a DIY companu about building one. Dont think an aviary would work in space. Any links for store bought sheds/kennels.

Thanks

I think a couple of people have bought kennels via ebay - a lot of smaller businesses sell through there, which are good because they'll often customise for you on size, adding a catflap, mesh size etc.

If I had the money I would go for a shed. I have 3 lots of housing outside. " hutches and 1 shed. The shed is soooo much easier in this weather as I can just walk in and clean it. The hutches on the other hand I look like a drowned rat :)

Depends if you want to or not :) I probably wouldn't if the hutch already is.
We have recently put insulation in the roof as it was super hot in summer and that made a massive difference. We stapled it on :) Also made a mesh door to get some fresh air in as we kept the glass windows.

Nope, as long as they have a snug area inside it, you don't need to insulate the whole thing.

Depending on the type of shed, if the interior isn't a smooth finish i.e. you see the board edges, then you might want to add a ply liner so they can't get their teeth around the edges to chew. Only need to be the height of a bunny though, no the whole thing.

Nice we are in scotland if that helps. If we get the shed planning on putting the old hutch it their. Installing a mrsh door mesh window with shutters vent holes and a catflap into the old run.

Hiya!!!:wave:

I have a 7 x 5 shed, partially insulated at the moment bit want to put insulated bubble wrap on the roof for the winter.

I cut a hole for the bunnies to get outsdpide in their 10x 5 (2 runs together) and inside I have a huge hy tay, carboard box with hay, hidey house, ikea dolls bed for them to loing on and a green tunnel.

They have enough room to explore and hide if required. The runs are a nightmare in winter with tarp etc but the shed is easy to manage in snow and rain.. Typical during winter in Glasgow

What insulating have you done fee? Im having to do a sketch for a loxal company for the modifications. What size should I make the exit into the run and do people put a catflap on it. Any other considerations?

Thanks

If you put a catflap in it, it means that there won't be a draught always coming from outside through the gap.

I have two cat flaps in my shed.

1469869_10152014290741070_207049217_n.jpg

Back