• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Needing vibes here :(

Liquorice

Mama Doe
Poor liquorice has just fallen ill. This morning we fed her and she didn't eat it so I knew something was instantly wrong. We left it a while as she still seemed to have energy and be eating hay. She was also drinking and passing faeces. We took her to the vets and she suspected it was this parasite that went to the brain, or either a stroke but the vet thought she was a bit too young for that to be likely. At the moment she is tilting her head and her eye seems to be rolling upwards to reveal the White. She has sent us home with wormer and some food to syringe feed her. I am so worried. The vet said if she survives she will have a head tilt forever and I really don't want her to suffer, but I don't want to put her down when I know she can beat this. I know I haven't been on for a while but I would but really happy if you could send some get well vibes to her. I'll update when there's more news as we are going for another check up tomorrow :cry:

I am so sorry, I really hope liquorice is ok, my little bun is very ill at the moment and it is so scary and horrible, loads of good wishes to you both xx

Sending all the healing vibes I can muster for Liquorice ((((((vibes)))))))
On a personal note, I have a head tilt bunny who is doing very well since he took ill two and a half years ago. Please don't despair if it turns out to be head tilt. It sounds like you got her in right away and that's the best way to get a handle on it early so that your bun has the best chance of recovery. :)
Keeping you and Liquorice in my thoughts and prayers. xxxxxxx

Sending all the healing vibes I can muster for Liquorice ((((((vibes)))))))
On a personal note, I have a head tilt bunny who is doing very well since he took ill two and a half years ago. Please don't despair if it turns out to be head tilt. It sounds like you got her in right away and that's the best way to get a handle on it early so that your bun has the best chance of recovery. :)
Keeping you and Liquorice in my thoughts and prayers. xxxxxxx

Thanks so much everyone :) but that sounds amazing! Do you know what caused the head tilt?

I hope she fights this and recovers soon xx

Before I was more clued up on rabbits and illnesses, one of mine had EC but the vet we saw told us it was a stroke and that he had 48 hours to make a change otherwise pts was the only real option.. We don't see him anymore but the panacur (wormer) we were thankfully given for him was just magic paste. In 24 hours he went from not eating, drinking or pooing to doing all of those things and he was moving about more.
He had head tilt too and while it wasn't too bad it was visible and obviously affecting his balance. 2 years on his head is perfectly straight and he's back to normal, only he's deaf now..!

The point I'm getting to is that rabbits can hide the worst things until the last possible moment and because it just happens so fast it is always much scarier. They're little fighters though so keep fighting along with her :) lots of fuss and words of encouragement for her too, I'm not sure they listen but your voice will be nice to hear :)

Xxx

hope liquorice gets better sending lots of vibes, did your vet even mention e-cuniculi as maybe a possible cause?

It was never definitively determined because we immediately put him on abx and so testing was inconclusive. He is a lop bunny though so it could've been a severe inner ear infection (no real evidence of that either though) or also e. Cuniculi. We treated him for everything. :thumb:
He has about a 40% residual tilt but it doesn't stop him. He's still full of bunnitude! :lol:

I hope she fights this and recovers soon xx

Before I was more clued up on rabbits and illnesses, one of mine had EC but the vet we saw told us it was a stroke and that he had 48 hours to make a change otherwise pts was the only real option.. We don't see him anymore but the panacur (wormer) we were thankfully given for him was just magic paste. In 24 hours he went from not eating, drinking or pooing to doing all of those things and he was moving about more.
He had head tilt too and while it wasn't too bad it was visible and obviously affecting his balance. 2 years on his head is perfectly straight and he's back to normal, only he's deaf now..!

The point I'm getting to is that rabbits can hide the worst things until the last possible moment and because it just happens so fast it is always much scarier. They're little fighters though so keep fighting along with her :) lots of fuss and words of encouragement for her too, I'm not sure they listen but your voice will be nice to hear :)

Xxx

Yeah I thinks that's what liquorice has been diagnosed with. It's so lovely to hear all these stories of bunnies that have survived. Yeah she's finding it very difficult to walk but I'm going to give her lots of cuddles and hope she recovers

Update-

Thanks everyone for your vibes!
Liquorice seems to have improved a little. She's acting a bit more like her aggressive self. I managed to syringe feed her some recovery food and she's had some wormer. shes had lots of cuddles and I hope she's eating a bit more tomorrow :)

I have seen quite a few bunnies with e-c and some make partial recoveries, others make full recoveries, so there is always hope. Many times I have heard vets mention the bunnies being pts, however their owners have sought advice and support from other experienced bunny owners and been determined to do their very best to help bunnies recover. I hate to say it but some vets may view rabbits as not really worth the time and effort......but we all know that they are!!! So don't give up hope yet.....there is so much that can still be done for Liquorice. xx

Back