• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wet grass, is it OK?

cpayne

Warren Veteran
I've read so many different views. Now Doughnut is doing well, part of it I think is because I pick her grass every day. Does wet grass give them tummy ache? I view it the same as wet vegatables, they just get a bit more water. So should I pick grass if it's been raining?

i don't feed wet grass personally. i found that bisc had issues with it when wet, although i'm not sure why, because he is fine with herbs being wetter :?

I think the main issue with it is that it can start fermenting faster if it's wet.

I would think it should be ok if you perhaps dry it off a bit with a kitchen towel and then feed it to her immediately.

I've fed mine just picked wet grass with no difficulties before. Outdoor rabbits would eat grass in the rain after all.

You could always try her with a little bit the first time, like you would with something new.

Yes I thought it was to do with fermenting. Will dry it with a kitchen towel and then give it to her. She eats it straight away anyway, no chance of it sitting there!

I do feed a handful of readigrass in the morning and then grass in the evening. A handful of that seems enough as too much and she has caecal left and a poopy bum!

Mine eat wet grass but they do so whilst free-ranging so it's picked by them and eaten immediately.

Wild rabbits eat it too; they don't have much choice.

Yep, it's just water, no different to drinking whilst munching. Spreading it out to dry is better than leaving it in a pile though, just to keep it nicer.

Thank you. Guess I've no excuse not to go out in the rain now, Doughnut likes watching me from the conservatory doors whilst staying dry!

Back