• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a quad... *new pics page 2*

midori1999

Alpha Buck
I was going to bond all six of mine, but for a few reasons (mainly Sweetie being unwell currently and wanting to get accomodation sorted/the aviary floor meshed and turfed before winter) decided to just bond Apollo and Hermes, my male/male pair and Binky and Lily, my girl/girl pair. I've tried to I reduce them twice now, once at the rescue in July and once a few weeks ago and both times fighting broke out almost immediately. However, they live side by side and I've noticed some grooming between Binky and Apollo, so thought if give it a go again.

I only started a few hours ago, but so far it's going much better than I expected and all four buns are relaxed and happy with things.

Last edited:
Mine fought at first as I was introducing the boys into the girls territory, it took roughly 4 weeks of them sniffing each through the mesh of the pen to get used to each other, then I left both hutches open so each pair could scent each others hutch when it was their turn free of the pen. They were soon covered in each other's scent - took a deep breath and opened the pen. Apart from one minor hiccup, they've been bonded for 4 months, that's them in my avatar. ;)

I bonded a quad (was going for six but Mottle and Peaches were not impressed) consisting of two brothers (Frosty and Snowflake) who had fallen out and two sisters (Tessie and Daisy). F and S had been living apart for some weeks when they were all introduced.

They were in a large pen in my bedroom with a litter tray per rabbit plus an extra one. I kept them there for two weeks.

They have been happily bonded ever since (now in a shed aviary set up).

Good luck with your four. Looks like its going really well.

Thankyou! Lovely to hear about bonding successes!

They're making it very easy for me! So far so good. I'm just hoping that as I increase their space the chasing/fighting does start, so I'm going to be cautious.

Tulsi, that's helpful. I expected to keep them in for about two weeks. The shed is brand new to them as it hasn't been used for bunnies yet and their aviary will be completely remodelled and returned inside, so fit will all be completely neutral when they go back out. They'll have so much more space, 180sq ft permanently, plus extra space when I am out there with them.

Oooo lucky rabbits. There new shed sounds great. I kept mine restricted to about 3/4 of their 10 x 6 shed for a couple of days then just let them have shed and run (also 10 x 6). They were fine. One thing I did which I reakon is a good idea is keep their litter trays from their bonding pen and put then into the shed UNCLEANED so that they had already scented them and didnt feel the need to start reclaiming them.

Obviously the shed is new territory but I reakon having the same old litter trays stopped too much territorial behaviour.

Thankyou. The actual shed is only 7ft x 5ft, but the aviary is 12 x 12 and mostly covered/roofed. (just the front 2ft that isn't) i have been using a coop as temporary accommodation and I may use that as a shelter in the aviary so there's something else as well as the shed. I'm hoping to bury some tunnels when I mesh and returf it too, so lots of hiding places.

That's a good idea about the litter trays. They are just in the bottom bit of a small indoor cage at the moment, as I wanted to restrict them due to the previous chasing/fighting, but I'll increase their space tomorrow and introduce litter trays then, which I can move into the shed with them.

All went really well overnight, no problems at all. Fingers crossed they keep this up. If they do it will be the easiest bond I've done.

I've bonded 2 quads, and currently have 1 quad and 2 trios. I love bunny groups.

Goodluck, hope it continues well.

Awh how sweet :love: I hope the bonding works out perfectly, lots of vibes for behaving bunnies! They look like they're behaving so far :D

I don't actually know which ones are which of yours :oops: also, are the two white bunnies angora or angora-crosses? Or are they just SUPER FLUFFY non-angora rabbits?!

Looks like it's going well :love: I never had any problems bonding my quad, and they lived together for a year without any issues :love: until the recent deaths of Ginger and then Apricot :cry:

Thankyou.

Zoobex, I'm sorry about Ginger and Apricot. :( were they originally a pair together? The worst thing about owning bunnies is losing them, it almost makes keeping them unbearable for me.

Funnybunny, my boys are Cashmere Lops apparently. They were from the rescue I volunteered at and I decided to adopt them when it sadly had to close and otherwise they would have had to go off to another rescue as no one had wanted them and I was quite attached to them. They have such personalities! They'd already been returned to the rescue after adoption once. Their coats are a nightmare and I do try to keep the short tbh, but they're quite fluffy at the moment.

Thankyou.

Zoobex, I'm sorry about Ginger and Apricot. :( were they originally a pair together? The worst thing about owning bunnies is losing them, it almost makes keeping them unbearable for me.

Funnybunny, my boys are Cashmere Lops apparently. They were from the rescue I volunteered at and I decided to adopt them when it sadly had to close and otherwise they would have had to go off to another rescue as no one had wanted them and I was quite attached to them. They have such personalities! They'd already been returned to the rescue after adoption once. Their coats are a nightmare and I do try to keep the short tbh, but they're quite fluffy at the moment.

Thankyou. Yes, Ginger and Apricot were sisters and a pair previously, and Dandy and Beano were my other pair, they are brothers.

Thankyou.

They are gorgeous :love: I can imagine how tricky their fur is now I have a fluffy rabbit, I've not had a fluffy rabbit before but Logan is and he gets food stuck all through his face fur for about an hour after a meal :shock: I can't imagine how much grooming it would take to keep tidy if he had long fur all over! :shock:

Ooh looks good! I had a 4, the old litter tray is good idea, just don't put anything in the new place that belonged to either pair. I stupidly did this and put a tunnel In and it caused havoc and I had to split! Got them back together on the second attempt though!
Silly complicated buns!!

Good luck

OMG the cashmere rabbits look like cosy little teddy bears x:love:x

So glad its all going well. I love having a quad. They often eat in their new pairs and chill with their original parteners.

Back