• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help with cleaning bisc's underneath please

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
i'm so mad at myself. bisc is completely filthy underneath thanks to the oxbow western timothy hay i got him to try :(

i've started to clean him with cotton buds and warm water but there is alot of stuck on cecals. i think i've asked before but can i use baby wipes on him? o/h is going out in a minute so can get some. if they don't work well then it will be off to the vets :(

i'm so mad at myself. bisc is completely filthy underneath thanks to the oxbow western timothy hay i got him to try :(

i've started to clean him with cotton buds and warm water but there is alot of stuck on cecals. i think i've asked before but can i use baby wipes on him? o/h is going out in a minute so can get some. if they don't work well then it will be off to the vets :(

If he's really really dirty you could always butt bath him? In a couple of inches of water in a kitchen tub or something? Obviously you would have be sure he was really dry? Wrap him in a towel and dip his bum in and the warm water should soften the cecals up and help them come out of his fur? I would just use a flannel and very gentle try to scrub it off his bottom and dry him off with a hair dryer on a cool setting?

I don't know if this is possible for you but that's what I would do if I was in this situation with my boys.

If he's really really dirty you could always butt bath him? In a couple of inches of water in a kitchen tub or something? Obviously you would have be sure he was really dry? Wrap him in a towel and dip his bum in and the warm water should soften the cecals up and help them come out of his fur? I would just use a flannel and very gentle try to scrub it off his bottom and dry him off with a hair dryer on a cool setting?

I don't know if this is possible for you but that's what I would do if I was in this situation with my boys.

i just worry this would stress him out... and stress causes him excess cecals :( he stinks so bad :(

I've always used the sensative baby wipes on Rolo as he is prone to a messy bottom. In fact, I'm just about to give him a quick once over now - just called my son to give me a hand! Good luck, I know it's not nice, but once I start Rolo calms down.

I've always used the sensative baby wipes on Rolo as he is prone to a messy bottom. In fact, I'm just about to give him a quick once over now - just called my son to give me a hand! Good luck, I know it's not nice, but once I start Rolo calms down.

which wipes do you use? just any sensitive baby ones? x

Is the poop dried on or wet?

When Louie has an episode, we soak baby wipes and hold them on the poop until it is wet enough to remove. It takes ages though.

This is what we do too - and I use any sensitive wipes.

ok, thank you. i over worry about using something that will set his tummy off even more :roll: luckily, he is cleaning some himself aswell so hopefully if i help aswell then we can get him clean again. it took soooooo long to get his tummy stable and his underneath clean. can't believe he has reacted this way to hay! it must be way too rich for him. :( i just wanted to treat him because he can't have much in terms of fresh foods. should have just stuck to what we were doing :(

I found that using the wipes took ages as they were a bit too dry really.

I was doing this last night. I put some luke warm water in the sink and use a flannel to sort of wet the mucky area to help soften the dried poop and then it will come off a bit easier with the flannel. I sat my bun on a towel on my lap every so often for a break and a head rub etc and left the flannel under his bottom to keep soaking the poop. He is an indoor bun so wasn't at risk of getting really cold but I give him a good rub down with the towel.

I hope you can sort little Bisc out okay. :wave: x

Aww sorry, you weren't to know the hay was going to do that!

If you really can't give him a very quick sloosh in a washing up bowl with an inch of lukewarm water (down on the floor), which I find is the very quickest and most effective way, then I would get a flannel really wet with lukewarm water and squeeze it onto him and gently keep doing that till the poo pulls away.

I think baby wipes of any sort are not going to dissolve the hardened poo and release it. (sorry, bit graphic!)

think i will have to try the bowl then. he's going to be furious :shock: do i stand him in the bowl? never had to do this before. he's been dirty underneath but this is worse. :(

o/h bought three different packs of wipes because he knows i'm fussy :oops: we've got some baby water wipes which i'd never heard of. some simple baby wipes and then he got some pampers sensitive (don't like supporting this company really but he couldn't find any others that said sensitive). he also bought some new flannels aswell.

wish me luck! :shock:

I have to clean Mary on a regular basis, she's used to me washing her undercarriage in a bowl of warm water in the sink, I use hypoallegenic pet shampoo,then rinse off with a shower head that slips over the taps. I then dry her thoroughly and put her in a clean hutch to groom herself. If there is only a small amount, I use the pet wipes you can buy from Aldi. Its £1.79 for a pack of 100, they're quite big and smel nice. ;)

one more question :oops: - does it matter if i get part of his tummy wet? the poop has gone up there aswell. can only dry him with towels as my hairdryer only works on cold now :roll: but the heating is on so hopefully he will be ok??

one more question :oops: - does it matter if i get part of his tummy wet? the poop has gone up there aswell. can only dry him with towels as my hairdryer only works on cold now :roll: but the heating is on so hopefully he will be ok??

We have had to do Louie's tummy and feet as well before, it was fine.

Back