• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

spending time with outdoor bunnies in winter

lucy24

Mama Doe
how do you manage it? do you find it hard? mine live in a 6x3hutch over a 6x8x3 run but i find it really hard to get out there and spend any time with them when its nasty out.:oops: so, how do you manage? am i the only one who finds it a bit tricky?...

I move my outdoor bunnies whole set up into the (unused)garage in the winter.If I couldn't I would make up a large puppy pen in there.I don't know if that's possible for you?

There isn't much you can do when the weather is really bad, but make the most of the better days. As long as bunnies have a friend they will be ok - this is where sheds are the best solution, if you can have one.

That's why I loved my shed! I used to have a heater and a light in there, and would sit for ages with the bunnies listening to an audiobook. It was so lush and cozy! :love:

I have a shed and sit in there with some cushions and blankets.

You could put up a little gazebo thing in the winter so at least it would keep the rain off you, although the cold will still be an issue - Maybe a hot water bottle would be an idea?

Tully doesn't want to spend time with us.
Kyla likes human company, and every morning when they're free-ranging, we leave the door open and she hops in to see us. We do the same in winter - so we're sat there in about a million layers with the door open :)

eta I don't think I could hang out with them in a shed if they had one, due to spiders. :( Brill idea though.

I definately spend more time with mine in the summer. I have a shed for the quad (Frosty, Snowflake, Tessie and Daisy) and hutches inside an aviary run for the other two pairs. I waaaay prefer the shed for cleaning out, etc even though the runs have clear tarp over them to keep the rain out.

As long as they have each other they should be fine.

I dream of having a huge extension of the house (rented and no space for one but no harm in dreaming) where they can all live as a happy group of eight and where I can sit with them in the warmth ...

I definately spend more time with mine in the summer. I have a shed for the quad (Frosty, Snowflake, Tessie and Daisy) and hutches inside an aviary run for the other two pairs. I waaaay prefer the shed for cleaning out, etc even though the runs have clear tarp over them to keep the rain out.

As long as they have each other they should be fine.

I dream of having a huge extension of the house (rented and no space for one but no harm in dreaming) where they can all live as a happy group of eight and where I can sit with them in the warmth ...

same! lol

i would love a shed for them.the one i bought gets very damp round the floor edges so is now just used as storage.:( i think i need to get my wellies out and invest in some thermals so i can sit out in the run with a cuppa!

I sit in the Summer house (which is why I got it £1100 worth) and they sit in the run and ignore me :lol:

I sit in the Summer house (which is why I got it £1100 worth) and they sit in the run and ignore me :lol:

:lol::lol:

I now have a really good quality shed with windows on three sides and a stable door so that I can sit in there. The g.pigs are there atm and always hide away when I come in!

Back