• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Has anyone tried the ''light'' excel?

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
I'm a bit aware of Finn's weight after the vet said he was a ''big lad'' once :lol:

He's a gannet and always gulps everything down, sometimes bullying Milo for his share, I give the boys their breakfast together and at the minute they are still on the junior and dwarf pellet, but recently I've noticed Finn filling out a bit, he's noticeably bigger than Milo. I sometimes think its just fluff but I think he has put weight on.

Does anyone know if the ''light'' excel is any good? I'm thinking of switching to it so they still get the goodness of having pellet but its not as fattening? I'm thinking the weight gain could be just due to getting the pellet that rabbits need when growing. (The junior and dwarf) if I switch will it make a huge difference?

When I took Pepper on he came with 2 bags of light pellets, they now get half this and half science selective to use it up.
Poos are still healthy and no problems, but my boys are still struggling to lose weight. Light pellets are not enough to make a difference on their own, it seems, but might help a bit!

When I took Pepper on he came with 2 bags of light pellets, they now get half this and half science selective to use it up.
Poos are still healthy and no problems, but my boys are still struggling to lose weight. Light pellets are not enough to make a difference on their own, it seems, but might help a bit!

I'm sort of thinking if I can cut the fresh veg down, give them light pellet and give them more running around activities to do it can only help!

I'm sort of thinking if I can cut the fresh veg down, give them light pellet and give them more running around activities to do it can only help!

Sounds like a plan! :)
It's the running around bit I'm having to work on now, my boys are lazy! The girls are much more active (and a healthier weight for it).
I don't know if it's a boy thing or just my two...!

If it's the same idea as dog 'light' food then it is not a 'diet' food as such - it is slightly lower calorie food designed to maintain the ideal weight of those prone to gaining weight.
Weight loss can be achieved on it but will be slow and the whole diet needs to addressed - same as us humans!

Sounds like your plan of action is a good one though :)

If they are older, you should slowly reduce the junior diet until you've completely switched over I think. It may be a good idea to switch to the light pellet if you feel he is gaining weight.
Also, rabbits exercise dependent on the space they are given. Larger the space, the more they'll move!
Here's some good advice:
"The eventual goal for a healthy, adult 2 kg rabbit is:
• Ad libitum grass and hay
• A cup of greens morning and night
• No more than 1 tablespoon full of a high fibre (>20% fibre) pelleted ration per day.
Extrapolations can be made from this for smaller and larger rabbits but recommendations should be based on the individual animal's body condition score and weight and activity levels."
(Source: 'The chubby bunny: a closer look at obesity in the pet rabbit' by Nadene Stapleton)

If you are worried, contact your vet. They may be able to help decide on a plan to suit your bunny's needs for him to lose weight if necessary. Hope this helps :)

I always thought that the junior one was kind of for "fattening up" because babies are still growing. So maybe just switching to the regular adult ones would help? I could easily be wrong though!

Also, rabbits exercise dependent on the space they are given. Larger the space, the more they'll move!
Hope this helps :)

Agreed :) but I also think personality plays a part. Finx and Doris happily hop and skip about in their runs, while Tango and Pepper are sprawled out on their favourite paving slabs lol!

I use the light excel pellets, I find it a lot better for Rupert's tummy issues, and the vet once said they'd put a bit weight on, and wouldn't want them getting any bigger.

I always thought that the junior one was kind of for "fattening up" because babies are still growing. So maybe just switching to the regular adult ones would help? I could easily be wrong though!

:thumb: They are higher in protein usually. I use them a lot for my oldies as it helps keep weight on. I'd probably switch to an adult pellet and review the diet as a whole.

Back