• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When our friends leave us

My experiences....

The animals that I have been with when they died just gradually drifted away - usually over a few hours, but some were quicker. Some were old, some ill, some injured, etc. That includes rabbits, guinea pigs, other smaller furries, one person and several cats (some of which I saw being run over and picked them up off the road). The only ones that jerked or twitched were the cats with obvious injuries (ie head injuries) from cars, and they were unconscious and very close to death at the time, so I assume that the movements were automatic ones from a severely damaged brain, rather than ones that were a response to pain or that there was any control over.

Small animals that are 'put to sleep' by a vet pass very quickly (a couple of minutes, maybe) and peacefully. They just relax and literally go to sleep, then stop breathing and their heart stops.

Just wondering why you are asking, and hope everything is Ok.

When my precious Tilly left me she didn't thrash atall, it was very peaceful she was in my arms and her breathing just slowed down until she finally took her last breath :cry::cry::cry:

This is a very delicate topic. But one i wanted to read. I have had two piggies pass and they went peacfully in my arms as I rushed them to the vets. My poor bun lance passing was very distressing. He squealed and fitted and i never want to experience that again. However if someone had told me prior that this is how some buns can pass I may have been a little more prepared. I felt so scared for him and useless. (Jacks Jane told me afterwards that this can happen when some buns pass to the bridge) . So although not a nice thread I think bun parents should be aware that a passing may or may not be peaceful. Either way it's heartbreaking when they leave us.

My Barney baby left me last year. And i stil can't remember him without tears. He was the most beautiful friend i've ever known

What an awful experience for you - I am sorry:cry:

I've only lost one rabbits so far - and she was pts whilst I held her - but the vet did warn me that she may well 'jump' as she goes - she didn't but I was grateful for the warning. I only hope that my other buns passings are as peaceful as hers was - without the extreme illness that she had before hand of course. I am glad of the warning of the squealing/fitting though - it must be truely horrific if not expected and you have not heard of it before hand.

when maisie piggy passed, she just drifted off to sleep really. she was so tired. her breathing was shallow and then her body tensed and i could feel some slight tensing, but then she just seemed to drift off and took her final breath. it was very peaceful. devastating but i'm glad i was with her at the end, as i wasn't for ches piggy, or for matt. they were at the vets. :cry:

Yes, it doesn't happen every time, but it is incredibly common - and quite normal - for bunnies to fit in the moments before they pass away. I don't think they are aware of it, I think it's just their bodies finally shutting down and isn't necessarily a reflection of what illness they may have had. It's horribly distressing to see, but I do find it sort of reassuring that it can be a normal part of their passing.

Poppy had an awful fit/seizure. The force of which propelled her across the floor. My oh lifted her and held her still until it stopped. He said she was still breathing and laid her in her carrier with her brother Will and rushed her to the vets. Oh said he could see them working on her as they hadn't shut the door. But I'm convinced she had already gone as they didn't charge for anything.

I hate that she died like that; she hadn't even been ill. I can't get the memory of it out of my head and it's been over a year.

My other 2 bridge bunnies Rosie and Blackie passed peacefully. I had these bunnies many years ago and as they were both about 8 when they died I just presumed it was from "old age" and they went to sleep and didn't wake up.

when maisie piggy passed, she just drifted off to sleep really. she was so tired. her breathing was shallow and then her body tensed and i could feel some slight tensing, but then she just seemed to drift off and took her final breath. it was very peaceful. devastating but i'm glad i was with her at the end, as i wasn't for ches piggy, or for matt. they were at the vets. :cry:

sox just lay on his side, the vet got him out he took 2 deep breathes and went to eternal sleep, im glad it was peacefully maybe his body was just too tired, just glad he wasn't alone :cry:

sox just lay on his side, the vet got him out he took 2 deep breathes and went to eternal sleep, im glad it was peacefully maybe his body was just too tired, just glad he wasn't alone :cry:

:( both ches and matt went at the vets aswell. they said their temperature started to drop so they moved them to an incubator but they passed shortly after. they said both just drifted off to sleep. they were tired and on pain relief so i hope that they just drifted off without pain. just so sad i couldn't be there for them :cry:

Back